Sunday, July 21, 2024

Running Into Jesus' Waters

 


Imagine with me!  It is an extremely hot and humid day.  The heat is really getting to you.  You are by a body of water.  Maybe it is the ocean, a lake, or even a pool.  You look at it and say, “Maybe I’ll just dip my toe into the water!”  You hem and haw and then finally go for it.  The water feels so refreshing on your toes you think, “Maybe I’ll venture into my ankles.”  Fresh relief of the sun.  Before you know it, you are waist high in the cool refreshment of the water.  Then you say to yourself, “Why not?  Just go all in!”  With hair wet and a smile on your face, you emerge from the water a new person – no longer hot and sticky but cool and refreshed.  Pure joy!  You leave the water and realize in a few moments, the water provided such happiness, the next time you find yourself running into the water! 

I have often felt our time with Jesus could be similar to entering a body of water.  You may ‘dip your toe’ into faith – going to church at Christmas or Easter.  Maybe you go a little further and actually participate in the service, singing praise songs and feeling energized.  Before you know it, the Bible Study on Wednesday evenings sound interesting.  Then, at dinner with a friend on Saturday, when asked why you look so happy and full of joy, you share the good news of simple faith in Jesus.  On Sunday, you find yourself waking up early, grabbing your Bible, and heading off to church with pure happiness.

Jesus does that to us, doesn’t He?  He teases us into the water with hope, covers us with salvation and has us running back to him to experience his unconditional love.  Our simple faith in Jesus and fully accepting his sacrifice for our sins brings us running back to him – for his love, his safety, his strength, and his salvation.  This does not mean that we do not retreat sometimes back to the ‘toe dipping’ stages.

There have been times in my life, unfortunately, when I may question Jesus, ask too many whys, and instead of running back to his safety, I may retreat and dip my toes back into faith. I am not proud of those moments and realize that running back into the water, into the arms of my savior, would have been the better decision – especially when those moments were so difficult. 

Friends, when we retreat to dipping our toes instead of running in, there is such great news!  Jesus is waiting for us either way.  He will be there waiting for us regardless of how we come back to him.  He knows he is in our hearts and that our ability to have simple faith in him will always prevail – and our joy and happiness will come back!

The next time you are standing at the end of the water of faith, you may dip your toes ever so gently.  Yet, know that if you go running into the water, happiness and joy will be waiting for you.  So, take the dive, run into the water, get your hair wet, and let Jesus’ love wash over you!

Dearest Jesus, help me to always run back to your open arms.  I know my safety, joy and happiness lie within those arms.  Give me simple faith to take the plunge into your love!  Amen!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.