We have been exploring the vices listed in Colossians and are on the last one. It is probably the one that is heard most often and most widely accepted in our society today, filthy language. It is also the one that absolutely pierces my heart – because it is so widely accepted. Utilizing profanity, abusive and degrading language adds no value to what comes out of one’s mouth. In fact, I am led to believe that it does the opposite and devalues what is being said. When one speaks filthy language, I find myself setting up barriers to listening.
So why is it so accepted in our modern society? Reflection on the following may help to explain.
- It has become more accepted, as hearing it on television, movies and social media seems to be the norm.
- It can be used to grab attention – it certainly turns my head when I hear it.
- Respectful speech seems to wain as time goes on.
- People are not as filtered as they used to be.
When I have asked people why they speak that way, I am often told, “That’s just the way I talk – get used to it.” When I hear little children speaking that type of language because they hear it so often, it makes me sad for our next generation. What do we do? How do you cleanse this vice? It starts with each of us.
- If this is a vice we want to remove from our behavior, it needs to start with clearing it from our lips. Hold yourself accountable and, if you need assistance, ask those around you to hold you accountable by ensuring they tell you when you use that language.
- Be bold to ask the person you are speaking with not to use that language. I have done this and have received mixed results. Over time, people will understand that using this language in conversation with you makes you uncomfortable.
- If at work, share they would receive better understanding if they did not use that type of language. It creates an uncomfortable work relationship.
I encourage all of us to review what is said by our lips each day. If the words we are using do not build people up and honor God, then it is time to remove it from our speech – and the speech of those around us – if possible. "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:6. May we look at these vices within us and work to remove them and replace them with the Fruits of the Spirit.
Video that complements this post: Filthy Language Vice
Heavenly Father, please give me the strength to remove filthy
language from my mouth. May it be
replaced with words that are filled with love, compassion, encouragement, and
joy. In your name, that I may revere, I
pray, Amen!


No comments:
Post a Comment