Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Old and The New


Yes, it is that time of year again.  I am not sure about all of you out there, but this is when I say to myself, "I can't believe the year passed so quickly."  As 2013 started out, I had many lofty goals that I wanted to achieve - many things that I wanted to improve - many things I wanted to get done.  As with every year, some of them have been accomplished and some of them have not.  Think with me over the past year.  What were some of the things that you wanted to change, improve, do differently, achieve??  Was it a good year for that?

There were the things I always have on my list - I was going to lose weight, exercise more, and be healthier.  I will share - that was one that didn't happen this year.  I was going to overhaul my wardrobe and come into this century.  Nope, that didn't happen this year either.  There were some wonderful things that I wanted to happen that did come to fruition, thanks be to our Dear Lord.  My mom had some very serious open heart surgery in the beginning of the year.  One of my goals was to try and help her to feel better - be there for her as she was so many times for me.  I tried, but the greatest blessing is that she is in tip top heart shape now - and could probably run circles around all of us.  The Lord certainly was there for mom during her recovery - it was great to watch Him work in her.   

I also prayed to our Lord to get closer to Him this year, to gain perspective with my life and to give Him and His word the attention He so richly deserves.  I will always continue to work on this, as I believe I am always a work in progress.  Yet, this year found me less stressed about this life and much more at peace by bringing God's word more abundantantly into my life.  It was truly life-changing, and continues to be.  This new peace, this new desire to serve God in many different avenues, enriched my life  in so many ways.  The richness that comes from studying his word - whether it be with on-line friends or weekly with our dear friends from church - filled my soul and brought my life to a new level.  God truly gives us everything we need, in one place.  The answers to our questions about this life, a greater understanding of the life to come, peace when it is needed, and a friend when we are alone can all be found in The Bible.  It is all right there for us, each and every one of us.   It was a great year to move forward with the joy that is found in the pages of The Word!!  I have been richly blessed.

One of my greatest blessings this year was to be able to start this blog.  It was a result of participating more in-depth in an online Bible Study.  I knew nothing about "blogging", but with a quick lesson from my daughter and experimenting, I was able to start a lifelong goal of writing about our Lord.  Each week, I have looked forward to sharing thoughts, verses, and experiences with others.  As many of you responded back to me, I felt inspired to continue.  I thank each of you for reaching out and giving me the drive to continue this small method of ministry with you.  As the Dear Lord provides to me, I will share with you.  I never thought this would be something that I would be able to share, to actually DO, but once again, God had much bigger plans than I did - for that I will be eternally grateful.

Now, 2014 is right around the corner.  What might be on the horizon?  I believe the greatest journey I want to focus on is to continue the one that The Lord has mapped out for me.  He has given me a path to follow.  I want to follow HIS path, not mine.  I realize that when I follow His journey, my life is filled with joy, with peace, with love.  There is no discontent.  There is no emptiness.  There is no worrying about what other people are doing or are not doing.  I am only concerned about what I can do better for Him, and that's a great feeling.  How will I be doing this?  Getting stronger in The Word - continue with the Bible Studies - both online and around the kitchen table.  Getting stronger in my faith by interacting with those that fortify my love of The Lord.  I can't wait to see what He has in store for me!

What about you?  What does 2014 have in store for you?  I pray for each and every one of you who read this blog that the New Year finds you encouraged to do something different in the name of The Lord.  Maybe it is to join a Bible study.  Maybe it is to serve your church or local charity in a special way.  Maybe it is to bring your family a bit closer to God's love.  Maybe it is to strengthen your prayer life.  Whatever our Lord has in store for you, I guarantee you it will be a wonderful journey.   May the New Year bring you joy, good health and rich blessings.  God Bless You All!!

P.S. - Yes, I will try again to lose a few pounds and eat healthier too - I will let you know how that turns out in December, 2014!!

"As for God, his way is perfect:  The Lord's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him."  (NIV) Psalm 18:30

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.