Monday, October 27, 2014

Recipe for Us


"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"  (NIV)  Psalm 119:103

I baked a cake yesterday.  No, this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime occurence.  I enjoy cooking and cook/bake often.  Yet, as my family will tell you, I am one of those "unique" cooks.  Yes, the kind that sees the recipe, says to herself "Wow, that sounds great", and as they set out to make the recipe decides "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" will make it better.  

So I started with a simple apple cake mix.  Then the fresh apples were introduced, some caramel sauce after it came out of the oven and frosting that was hinted with cinnamon and nutmeg.  Yes, it was a good cake and had all the flavors of fall within - exactly what I was hoping for.  As I changed the recipe and thought about what I could add to make it better, I realized there was much learning that I had gained - from making a cake.

When I look to those around me and see all that God has created, I am always amazed.  When His hand touches us, each of us is so wonderfully made. He took the "basics" and added something special to each one of us to make us better, sweeter.  He added "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" and look at the wonders each of us brings.  Some of us bring service.  Some of us bring education.  Some of us bring evangelism.  The list goes on and on.  The greatness, though, is that by God's hand, He has added the individuality that makes us all good - together.  Just like adding the apples, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Together, we are better!!

Yet, there is one more way to look at the addition of good things that make us better.  You see, as we add good things into our lives, our blessings from God are sweeter.  As we enrich our lives with fellowship, prayer, praises, and God's word, things that make US better, we also see the sweetness of our lives increase.  It's a great feeling to know God's words penetrate us, deepen our faith, and bring us to a stronger relationship with our Lord.  This sweetness is available to us each and every day - we just need to partake of the wonderful food to help strengthen us - God's food in His word.

So the next time you set off to make something a little better, think of all God has given YOU to become a little better.  Immerse yourself in all He provides to you.  Who knows what the end recipe will yield - hopefully a better YOU.  And go ahead and make the cake - it really was delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.