Sunday, January 18, 2015

Performance Appraisal

 
"If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves.  Each one should test their own actions.  Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load."  (NIV)  Galatians 6:3-5
 
 
It is that time of year for us HR Professionals.  We all face it some time in the year - when we get to read performance appraisals.  Although each organization may have different processes, at one point or another, we have the "pleasure" of reading performance appraisals for our organization.  It is a neat position to be in and although it can be very time consuming and stressful, we do get an insight to people.
 
As I read the many reviews (and yes, I've only STARTED this process), I couldn't help but have some things come to mind.  Our process has a self-evaluation part where the associate actually rates themselves in the same areas that the manager will rate them.  Usually the results fall into two buckets:  one when the associate believes they are "larger than life", the other when they believe "I am never good enough". 
 
I couldn't help but think of my own performance as a Christian.  If Jesus were to give me an evaluation today, how would I rate my performance?  Do I think I'm doing okay?  How's my prayer life?  Do I love others enough?  What about sharing the good word of salvation with others?  Are my Bible Studies effective and insightful?  Yes, the list here goes on and on. 
 
The real question, though, isn't how I would evaluate myself, but more importantly, how Jesus would rate me.  It certainly helped me to put a few things into perspective, especially as I read our focus verses for this blog.  If we think we are something that we are not, we deceive ourselves.  Well, I'm sure I have the "fruits of the spirit" down pat. We should test our actions.  Do I believe I have the fruits of the spirit down pat?  As I review them, I certainly see where I can improve - love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control?  Sure, I must have gentleness down pat - but then I think of a time where my words were not so gentle.  Self control - major fail on that one.  Yes, I have many areas where I can improve - and I'm sure Jesus sees that every day.
 
The good and blessed news is that Jesus forgives my shortcomings and provides opportunities for me to refine my skills - not just with the fruits of the spirit but in EVERY aspect of Christian living.  What a wonderful manager he is!!  He provides gentle encouragement in His Word and gives me all the love I need to succeed.  I am truly blessed.
 
So as we give ourselves a self-evaluation, may we look at our Christian life through Jesus' eyes, and may we continue to get better with each and every day.  One day, He will provide that evaluation for us, and I know He will say to all of you - welcome home!!  What a glorious day that will be.
 
Time for me to get back to performance appraisal reading!!  May you have a wonderful week in our Lord, filled with self-evaluation and the warmth of Jesus' love.  Blessings~~


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.