Sunday, April 26, 2015

Constant Comfort

"I am the good shepherd; I know My sheep and My sheep know Me - just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep."  (NIV) John 10:14-15
 
 
Good Shepherd Sunday - I love this Sunday.  I have always enjoyed the picture of Jesus as my shepherd.  Typically, when I think of this picture, I think of Psalm 23.  Yet, today, we read about the Good Shepherd in John.  There is a comfort that comes with knowing that someone is shepherding over me.  I NEED to know this - for there are many times when I need that comfort to see me through and let me know that someone cares for me.
 
I am extremely fortunate that I have many people in my life who look out for me and my comfort - many who truly care for me - my husband, my mother, my children, my friends.  All of these people have provided comfort for me.  Yet, there are times when not even these people can provide comfort for me.  They may try, yet they don't know the type of comfort I need.  Usually during those times, I don't even know the comfort I need.  Please tell me you can relate!!  You know - those times when words just don't come easily; where I struggle with what I am feeling, what I need; the times when I just want to be by myself and pray that - miraculously, someone will understand my thoughts.  As time goes on, I realize that nobody knows my thoughts and what I am struggling with.  It is at that time that my Shepherd - the one who laid is life down for me - is there for me.
 
How can Jesus do that when nobody else can?  Because He knows me better than anyone else does.  He knows what I'm feeling long before I know it.  He is there for me because He knows what I need.  The best part of all of this is that He never leaves me.  He never leaves me as I depart for work from my home.  He never leaves me when others may get frustrated with me.  He never leaves me when I just don't know what to say.  He stays with me - every moment of every day.  Even when He died, He came back.  He came back for you and for me.  He came back so that I know I can count on Him.  He came back!!
 
So when those days come when - no matter how many people may surround you - you need to have your own personal shepherd to comfort you, remember you do.  He is standing there right beside you.  Jesus is with you every moment of every day.  He guards you as one of His precious sheep.  The assurance that you and I will always be one of His flock brings me comfort just when I need it.  I pray that the love and guidance that our Dear Jesus has for each of us is felt by us - especially when we need it.
 
"Dear Savior, thank you for your constant comfort - the comfort that is never failing and is just what I need, when I need it.  Thank you, Jesus, for dying for me - and coming back for me.  Your love is felt always."


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.