Sunday, September 13, 2015

Power of a Memory


"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and to their children after them."  Deuteronomy 4:9

It  has been one of those weekends.  It started on Friday and, even as I write, the memories keep flooding back.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do or where I go, there is a special memory that must be tucked down deep in my heart that is getting pulledl to my mind.  I have to say, most have been wonderful and positive memories.  Memories of special times with my parents and brother growing up, memories of high schol and college; memories of first jobs, when my children were born, vacations, special dinners, even simple walks  -  all these memories just coming back.

Memories are such a powerful thing.  I found myself sharing my memories a lot this weekend, with my husband, our children, the dog, anyone who would listen!  What I found as I shared my memories was not only the look on the other person's face as I was speaking, but the smile that was coming from my own face.  I found that as I shared, all the emotions of those special moments filled me up - made me feel good.  It was amazing.

Yet, this time, something different happened than when I have had reflective memories in the past.  It happened when I was at my dad's gravesite - getting it ready for fall.  As I cleaned up the lillies that have already passed their season and laid the mum that will adorn his site for a few weeks, there was a feeling of thankfulness.  Yes, for the first time, I took time to thank God for all of these wonderful memories I was having.  Usually the "good feeling" of memories comes and goes.  This time, I didn't want it to go.  More importantly, I needed to thank God for so much at that moment.  

I thanked God for letting me remember, for bringing all those wonderful thoughts and times back to me.  I thanked Him for blessing me with those special moments.    Those moments were filled with such love and joy and all of that can only come from our Heavenly Father.  I thanked Jesus for giving me the salvation I so much do not deserve so that the memories I have here on Earth can one day be shared again with those that are already in our heavenly home.  There was so much to be thankful for.

As our lesson for today shares, when specal moments happen, they need to stay in our hearts and be shared with others.  We can't let go of them.  We need to take those moments and not just keep them to ourselves, but give them to others --  to increase their joy, their happiness, and their knowledge.  Especially our children.  I watched a mom and daughter have a special moment the other day.  It was truly precious and, yes, helped me to relive memories of my own.  I shared with that mom to keep that moment, that very simple moment, close to her as they grow up so fast.  She smiled and I knew she understood.  

Now, I know, that we all have memories that may not be wonderful and pleasant.  Yes, we need to thank God for those memories too.  Although they may be painful, through those memories we grow, and learn and move on.  Even those memories can be shared - for helping others to learn from our mistakes, our pain.  It is important to not only remember, but to share! 

As we begin the week ahead, I ask that you take a few moments, maybe after you finish reading this post, to think of a memory - a good memory - and cherish how it makes you feel.  I would love to hear from all of you and those great memories you are having.  Feel free to post them at the bottom of this blog.  And may all of you enjoy the power of a memory.

"Dear Jesus, thank you for the power of a memory.  Memories are such an important part of us; they fill us with warm feelings of happiness, joy, and yes, maybe even sorrow.  Yet, we know that all of our memories are blessings from YOU - our Heavenly Father.  Be with us as we move forward in the week ahead, and fill our hearts with gracious memories from you.  In your gracious name we pray, Amen."







No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.