Sunday, April 10, 2016

Being a Homebody



"One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek:  that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple."  (NIV)  
Psalm 27:4

Anyone who knows me knows that I like to be home.  I believe that characterizes me as a homebody.  That's not to say that I don't enjoy a nice vacation every now or then or even an evening out.  Yet, when push comes to shove, I enjoy my home.  I'm a "sweatpants and sweatshirt" kind of gal, and the picture above is the view I have each time I sit down to write, to read, to enjoy a fire in the fireplace, or a cup of hot tea.  This room is probably the least used room in the house.  Yet, it is definitely my favorite.  It's warm, it has pictures of our family, it has stained glass pieces that my father labored over, and artifacts from Costa Rica.  I look around this room and I am at peace.

When I read this verse this week, I lingered on it for a while.  In doing so, I realized why this verse drew me in.  There are many aspects of this verse that resonated with me.  I pray that they will do the same for you.
  • "Dwell in the house of the Lord" - This can have so many meanings.  For me, I don't see it as a materialistic house.  I envision the house of the Lord as anywhere I am when I am with our Lord.  This can be at my home, but it can be so many other places - my car, work, church, outside in our yard, etc.  Dwelling with the Lord, for me, means that my focus, my heart, my mind, is with our dear Jesus.  It could be singing a praise song, praying, reading His word, etc.  It means BEING with Jesus.  I realize that when I dwell with Jesus, I am at peace (like when I am in my living room).
  • "All the days of my life" - This great verse helped me to realize that when I do focus on Jesus each and every day, my life is in perspective.   Notice that I didn't say my life is perfect - far from it many days!  Yet, I do know that the days I have Jesus in my heart, there is a peace that I can't explain.  I know that everything will be okay.  Again, I am at peace.
  • "Gaze on the beauty of the Lord" - What's not beautiful about our heavenly Father?  That beauty can come in so many different ways.  Whether it is the beauty of our world, the beauty of another person's heart, the beauty of music - our Lord has created such beauty in our world!  Most importantly, it is the beauty that the Lord has created - just for me.  The beauty of my sins being forgiven and a place in His heavenly home.  Now there is beauty I can't wait to see!  That beauty provides me peace.
  • "Seek him in his temple" - Our Lord's temple can be anywhere.  Yet, when I think of His temple, I truly see myself in church.  It can be communing at the altar, reading His word, singing His praise, praying with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, or listening to the sermon learning how I can more deeply bring Jesus into my life.  Any one of those ways, and so many more, is how I am able to see Him.  The Holy Spirit gives me such peace.

Maybe that's where the association lies - between my living room being a homebody and my journey with God - IN PEACE.  Dwelling with God gives me the peace that passes all understanding.  It gives me hope, it gives me strength, it gives me joy, it gives me love.  It is within that dwelling that I know that my redeemer lives.  I pray that as you seek peace, that you consider this verse and may you become a homebody - a homebody with God.

Dearest Heavenly Father, help me to dwell with you all the days of my life.  Wherever I may be, I pray that my heart turns to you, that I see your beauty and seek a closer relationship with you.  For I know if I do those things, I will have the peace in my life that I need, the peace that passes all understanding.  May I become a homebody in God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.