Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Ultimate Rule


As we continue the study of The Beatitudes, it's hard to imagine any of the beatitudes without this particular one - being pure in heart.  All of them seem to hinge on this one.  Being pure in heart sounds like a "tall order" for us living on this earth.  Especially with the fact that we are all sinners, everyday sinners.  So what does being "pure in heart" mean?  To be honest, I did some exploring on this.  In reflection, two "P's" come to mind - Pleasing and Purposeful.  

Pleasing would mean that we would live lives that are pleasing to God - doing His will and all that He commanded.  I know I fall short of this on a daily basis.  Oh how I would love to have God look down on my days and say, "Now, THAT'S the Susan I made."  Although I may try, I know my behaviors don't always mirror what God would like to see from me.  

Purposeful would mean that we are living lives that are devoted to our Heavenly Father - that we live with a focus on God and all that He has done for us, in praise and adoration.  Once again, I fall short.  How many times I have taken credit for blessings that God has provided for me?  How many times have I gone "my way" through this life versus taking, "God's way"?  

Pleasing and purposeful lives aren't always easy to live.  There is good news, though.  The good news is that we have a savior in Jesus that guarantees us a heavenly room, as long as we believe, try to live good lives, and repent.  I'm not sure about you, but I am so very grateful for Jesus' love and what He gave for me.  When the life that I live doesn't match up to the life God asks me to live, that is the time for repentance  - and I can live in confidence that those sins will be readily forgiven.  

There is so much happening in our world today - so much that makes us wonder, "Is anyone living a life that is pleasing and purposeful to God?"  This past week our nation grieved.  It doesn't matter your opinions or viewpoints on all that happened - all of it is sad.  My heart aches and looks to our Lord and Savior for answers.  What impact can I have?  What can I do?  Then, as always, our Lord presented a situation for me to live a life that is pleasing and purposeful to Him.  I was having my nails done, just an average day at the nail salon.  Except, the salon was not too busy.  Next to me were a couple of ladies having their nails done.  I happened to overhear one of the ladies discuss that she was recently diagnosed with cancer and that, although her surgery was completed, she was awaiting her treatment plan and was very nervous on how this would effect not only her, but her family.  Jesus tugged at my heart and the next 15 minutes found us chatting about some cancer facts that I was able to share.  This woman, that I never met before, and I shared tears and smiles about what will become her journey.  Jesus blessed our short time together. 

How powerful God can be when we do as He has asks and then let Him do the rest? I see His face in others when that happens.  It is good and it warms my heart.  And maybe, just maybe, I hear Him say, "Susan, I am proud of you."

Dearest Lord:  With all that is happening in our world today, it is hard to believe that anybody is acting in a manner that is pleasing and purposeful to you.  Does anyone act with a pure heart?  More importantly, am I acting with a pure heart?  Help me to remember that it all starts with ME.  Help provide me moments where I can share actions that please you and are purposeful to you.  Guide me, Jesus, to become the person you want me to be, so that I can clearly see YOU.  In your gracious and guiding name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.