Sunday, November 26, 2017

Saying Goodbye

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace."  Numbers 6:24-26 (ESV)

Just like that, as fast as the children all joined us for the holiday, the house is now quiet again.  All the work and preparation, all the anticipation, and within a few short days, it is all over.  Is it just me or is the house even MORE quiet when all the children leave than what it was before they got there?  We were blessed to have all four children rejoin the household during Thanksgiving.  With everyone living their separate lives, it was truly a blessing.  I can still hear the laughter as they sat at the kitchen table Thanksgiving evening playing cards.  Truly made this mama's heart swell with joy.

It started Saturday - the exodus.  The first one took off mid-morning.  Close to 1PM on Sunday, they had all left.  Goodbyes can be hard, especially when you know it will be some time before we will all be together again.  How about you?  Did you spend these past few days with family and friends?  Are you also feeling the sense of loss as they say goodbye and leave the driveway?  It's hard to watch people leave us.  In trying to find a way to fill my heart again, I turned to scripture.

This wonderful blessing that our Lord bestows upon us is one I shared in my heart with my children today.  As they head off to a life outside of their childhood home, I have comfort knowing that our Lord is with them.  God doesn't disappoint.  He may not always give us what WE want WHEN we want it, but He always has a greater plan.  He has my children in His hands.  How do I know this?  

Because, in the verse above, I replace the word YOU with my children's names. When I do this, the verse becomes very personal to each and every one of them.  That is how I know God has their best intentions for them, that He will bless them with what they need.  He will love them - as I love them.  When I can't be there for my children, He will always be with them.  With that, I can be assured that they will receive great blessings from our Lord.  With that, I have peace.  

As you sent off family and friends this past weekend, pray the blessing above upon them.  Know that God is with them and will hold them in His hands.  Have peace in God's word, and that peace will pass all understanding.  

Advent begins next Sunday.  This year we will explore those who were humble during that first Christmas.  I pray you are blessed this Advent season.

"Heavenly Father, as family and friends leave our homes after the holidays, it can be tough to watch them leave.  Our homes may be going from lots of chatter to a sense of quiet.  Although we may feel a bit of longing for those who have returned home, we know that you will bless them and bring us peace.  Help us to be reminded of this.  In your name we pray, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.