Sunday, April 26, 2020

Change in Plans


My husband and I were taking a walk yesterday, enjoying the beautiful day.  As we chatted about the wonders of nature around us, we began to chat about the plans that we had for this spring.  Our son was coming in from deployment and we were going to make the trek from New Hampshire to Virginia to be there for the celebration.  A few weeks later, we had a special cruise planned around Barcelona and Portugal, visiting places we had never been before and enjoying the art of exploration (at least in our lives)!  We had both been working hard and were anxious to spend this time celebrating and being with each other.  Both events were our "beacon of light" during tough days.

Then plans changed.  With the events in our world, our son's deployment return had been extended.  With the events in our world, our cruise was cancelled.  With the events in our world, all the plans we had created disappeared in an instant.  Those who know me know that I don't take kindly to plans changing.  I'm a planning kind of gal.  Little plan changes, I can accept.  These were BIG plans.  

Our reflection led me to think about how many plans have been cancelled with everyone around the world.  My plans seem small and insignificant compared to others' plans.  They planned on spending their life with their spouse and their spouse passed on.  They planned on having a job they loved for years and they were laid off.  They planned on their new business succeeding and now they struggle to pay the rent.  There were much larger plans out there that seemed to have disappeared.

I have found that when plans have changed, Jesus has always had something different in mind for me.  When MY plans have been altered, Jesus has been there to take the direction I was headed in and move it to something "unplanned" but just as important.  When MY plans have been altered, Jesus has been there to teach me, redirect me, and guide me to something new.  When MY plans have been altered, Jesus and I get a little closer.  The truth and reality of all of this as our lives have changed, our Lord God has NOT changed.  His love NEVER changes, his strength NEVER changes, his grace NEVER changes.  We may fight these changes with vigor, yet he is always on the other side of the change, picking us up, helping us to continue on with our lives.  Jesus is setting each next step for us - whatever that step may be.  

Those next steps that he has set for us may be difficult.  They may be challenging.  We may not understand WHY those steps have been set for us.  The important thing is for us to lean into that new direction and lean on God.  Look at the new direction and find hope, find strength and find the new plan that God has laid out for you.  To do this, you need to lean on God's blessed assurance that He is leading your new path.  In that comes peace~~

Dearest Jesus - HELP US!!  Help us to acknowledge that plans do change - our direction is not always your direction.  As our lives and our world continue to change direction, let us lean on you to discover the path you have laid out for us.  May we rely on your strength and your love to guide us through these new waters.  During this journey, let us gain a closeness to you that we have yet to experience.  In your guiding name we pray, Amen!








No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.