Sunday, May 15, 2022

Opportunity of the Moment

 


The checklist!  The errands!  The activity!  The meetings!  The worry!  The frustration!  My days are filled with constant movement and constant thinking.  My family will attest I am an expert in lists and in turn, an expert in getting things done.  Friday night (I do not even wait until Saturday morning), the weekend list is created.  It may range from the weekly events such as grocery shopping and laundry to events that depend on the time of year.  This weekend found the list consisting of buying plants, planting them, getting the sprinkler system going, exchanging the winter clothes in the closet to the spring and summer clothes, etc.  You get the idea . . . and the list was long.

I started to check off items on the list Friday night and I moved into Saturday with laser focus!  Time to get things done.  I find that most of my life is like this.  I make lists at work, checking things off as the days roll on.  Vacations can become a series of what we are going to accomplish on certain days, leaving truly little up ‘to chance’ and ensuring that we see EVERYTHING there is to see!  I have always seen this as one of my greatest strengths.  I have chatted with many folks who possess this same ‘superpower’ – the master list maker. 

For years this was the best way to get through life, especially as a working mom.  Without the list, I was convinced things would result in chaos.  Yesterday, as my hands were in the dirt planting zucchini seedlings, the wave of revelation came over me.  I have had this wave before.  As days get busy and time is moving faster than I can keep up with, the wave rushes over me.

This wave is ‘being in the moment.’  It is when I realize that in the spirit of getting things done, I might be missing the opportunity of the moment.  I have always believed this wave is the Holy Spirit saying, “Stop, Look, Listen, Appreciate.”  It is the opportunity to appreciate the moment I have and to not focus on how quickly I can get one list item completed before moving on to the next.  The opportunity of the moment can come in many shapes and sizes:

·        Stopping whatever we are doing to listen to the person speaking to us – truly listen.

·        Looking into a person’s eyes, not running past them with lightning speed.

·        Taking time to prepare a meal knowing the nourishment it will provide.

·        Looking at the beauty around you while taking a walk.

·        Slipping your hand into your spouse’s hand while on the couch watching tv.

It is these moments where we can feel God’s love in our hearts and, in turn, share His love.  This is what God wants for our lives, making the most of every opportunity.   May we ask the Holy Spirit to nudge us to take advantage of these moments.   Do not let the list drive your life – let the opportunity of the moment drive your heart.

Dearest Father, pour your love upon me.  Help me to focus not only on the things that need to get done, but on the moments where there are opportunities to appreciate and share your love.  May I realize that it is you, Dear Lord, nudging me to live wisely in your name.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.