Sunday, November 13, 2022

Messy Lives

 

I watched a young mother in a store the other day.  It was obvious that she was frustrated with her toddler.  The toddler had knocked down some product and it was all over the floor.  The quick and abrupt reaction by the mother must have startled the child and he was having a bit of a meltdown.  The young mom was struggling with how to react.  She was frustrated.  She was embarrassed.  She had no more patience.  Her head in her hands said it all.

I’ve been there as I’m sure any young parent has been.  Our children can mess things up leading to our frustration and testing our patience.  I thought about this a bit more and there are times when those we care about, young, and old, can mess up our well-orchestrated plans, leaving us angry and frustrated. 

More importantly, there are times when I have been the one messing things up.  My actions disappointed others, and myself.  The combination of daily life and my sinful nature can lead me to not just messing things up with those I care about here on earth, but my messes certainly must disappoint my Heavenly Father.  I can just imagine God looking down upon my life and saying, “Susan, you really messed that one up.”  How many times I have disappointed God?  How many times I have messed up the plans He set for my life?  That list is endless.

Let’s go back to the story of the young mother.  She lifted her head from her hands and looked at her crying toddler.  She caressed his head in her hands and said, “No matter how big the mess, I will always love you.”   She said those words over and over again.  The toddler moved from crying to smiling, and the two cleaned up the mess and were on their way.  It was beautiful.  That is exactly what God does with my messes.  When what I’ve done seems so big and unforgiveable, He reminds me that nothing, no matter how big the mess is, can ever separate Him from me.  He will always love me, for eternity. 

The verse for today is so powerful.  It reminds us that whatever we have done, how grave our sin may be, God is always waiting with open arms and saying, ‘I will always love you.’  This world can be tough.  Our days can be difficult.  Add on the added stress of sin, and it can be overwhelming. Yet, when we go to the open arms of our Lord, He reminds us that we aren’t meant to handle sin on our own.  We are meant to come with contrite hearts to the only One who can forgive our sins and cleanse our souls – Jesus.  With Him as our father, we are guaranteed forgiveness and love – no matter the mess.

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me, regardless of how large of a mess I have made.  Your open arms and forgiving heart are always there for me.  Thank you for letting nothing come between us.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.