Sunday, January 22, 2023

Tenderness & Compassion

 


It happens.  Our little ones do things we would prefer they don’t.  We say, “Don’t jump on the bed” and they proceed to jump and the bed breaks.  We say, “Stop horsing around with your sibling” and before we know it, someone is crying.  As children grow older the “Don’t” statements are different.  We talk about many topics that we didn’t anticipate we would have to deal with.  The conversations have mixed results and there are times the “Don’t” statements and the subsequent actions are in direct opposition.

As parents, we tend to manage all of these situations with a similar end result – love and compassion.  We forgive our children for their behavior or actions and love them, not matter the disobedience.  They know they can come to us for that unconditional love and understanding, especially when they come and say, “I’m sorry.”  On those days, our hearts swell with love.

As adults, due to our sinful nature, we also disobey.  When our Heavenly Father tells us “no” (through the power of the Holy Spirit and His Word), there are times we move forward in our own way, not God’s.  We break things – ourselves, our relationships, and so much more.  Our hearts may know better, but the devil takes over. 

When we disobey, we know we have done wrong.  The Holy Spirit helps us to know this through our conscience.  Many times, that guilt of knowing we have done wrong and disappointing God can overwhelm us.  It can be difficult to know that our sins are forgiven.  Maybe the sin is ‘too large’ to have God forgive me.  Maybe I feel I need to live this the guilt of this sin for the rest of my life – that I need to be punished daily for the sin.  The weight of guilt-driven sin can sometimes feel as if it will never end. 

My friends, we have Good News.  The compassion that we show our children is even greater when the compassion comes from God.  Not only does He love us despite our sinful nature, because of Jesus’ suffering, death, and resurrection, the sin is wiped away – clean from our record.  When we come to God saying “I’m sorry”, He is there with open arms saying, “I will always be here – waiting for you.”  His tenderness and compassion are ever-present.  Our doubt and guilt can only be replaced with God saying, “Your sins have been wiped away – My love covers it all.”  If you are struggling with a sin that ‘just won’t go away’, remember that God has forgiven you.  There is nothing left for you to do except to accept His forgiveness.  Let joy replace guilt and hope replace doubt!  Your simple faith in God is all He asks!

Heavenly Father, I thank you for your tenderness and compassion.  When I can’t forgive myself, you are there waiting for me with the love and forgiveness of a father.  Help me to feel the forgiveness and take the weight off my shoulders.  In your name I pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.