Sunday, August 13, 2023

Are You Deserving?

 


What I witnessed reminded me of when I was rearing little ones.  A mother was trying to provide discipline and a learning moment in the middle of Target.  I heard the child a few moments earlier, yelling and screaming.  The little one was upset about something, and she wanted to ensure her mom knew it.  Mom calmed her down and they continued shopping in the toy section.  The child found a toy she was excited about and asked to get it.   Mom got down to her child’s level and, in a calm voice said, “Do you remember a few minutes ago you were yelling and screaming?”  The child shook her head in affirmation of which mom replied, “Do you think you deserve something special?”

Those words hit home!  In that moment, I thought of Jesus.  There are certainly times when I am that child of a few moments earlier, yelling and screaming at my Lord!  Sometimes, it is because something bad happened that “I” felt should not have happened.  Other times, something good should have happened that did not happen.  With all that emotion, I have screamed out to Jesus!  I was upset and He was going to know about it.  Just like the mom in the scenario above, Jesus calmed me down and opened my eyes to the situation.

Yet, the words that hit home, “Do you think you deserve something special?” is what rang in my ears.  Do I deserve Jesus’ forgiveness?  Do I deserve His love?  Do I deserve a life of eternity in paradise?  I do not deserve ANY of what Jesus has lavishly provided to me.  I AM UNDESERVING!  My daily behaviors prove that I am a sinner.  Whether I am screaming in anger or silent in injustice, my sin is prevalent.  Whether I sin in action or inaction, I am sinning.  The common denominator is that I AM UNDESERVING of anything that my Lord has to offer me.

I do not deserve anything special.  None of us do.  The good news is that Jesus came to let us know WE ARE DESERVING.  We deserve His love.  We deserve His forgiveness.  We deserve eternal life.  Why?  Because WE BELIEVE.  We believe in His death and resurrection.  We believe in His forgiveness.  We believe in life eternal.  We believe because we are loved.  Brothers and sisters, we DO deserve something special – we deserve Jesus!  We are part of His kingdom.  We are HIS children, and His love is greater than anything we can fathom here on earth. 

To answer the question?  We are deserving of all Jesus gives to us.  In return, may we ask for forgiveness of our sins.  May we have the faith and hope that only Jesus can provide.  May we rest in the peace that passes all understanding.  Our simple faith takes us on the path from undeserving to deserving.  It was Jesus’ walk to Calvary that gives us the ability to take that path.  In the end, the mother told her daughter she deserved it because she loved her.  Remember, you are deserving as well, because Jesus loves you.

Dearest Jesus, thank you for bringing me from an undeserving person to a child of your kingdom, deserving of all you give to me.  May my heart always remember to give you thanks and praise!  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.