It seems to
happen more than I would like – a wonderful or happy event is masked by a
challenging or sad event. It has
occurred more than I care to admit, especially during the past year. A couple of weeks ago, it happened
again. My husband’s nephew passed away
unexpectedly – sad event. Our seventh
grandchild was born, wonderful event.
Two days later a dear friend of forty years passed away unexpectedly –
sad event. Rounding things out, my last
living aunt passed away the next day – sad event.
When my life
turns to this type of dichotomy, it is hard to compartmentalize emotions. Happiness can run into sadness and sadness
into happiness. It is difficult to get
through the days this way. Have you ever
experienced these types of emotions? I
know I should be happy, but sadness seeps into my being. Which way should I be feeling?
Once again,
Paul provides the answer for us. It is
okay to feel both emotions – in fact it is encouraged!! Rejoice and be happy with those you are
surrounding yourself with that are rejoicing.
Mourn with those who are mourning.
There is one aspect where mourning can be rejoicing. As Christians, we know, without a shadow of a
doubt, that we will see fellow Christians in paradise one day. We know that those who leave this earth are
rejoicing in heaven. Those who are left
behind feel the pain, but those who have left us are happy in Jesus’ presence.
When my
parents passed, mourning was part of my days.
Yet, when I focused on what THEY were experiencing, I couldn’t help but
smile. They were not in pain anymore. They were not worrying anymore. They moved to the glory of God. Friends, it can be tough to get through days
when rejoicing and mourning seem to collide.
Remember the goodness of Jesus.
He provides us the knowledge that those who mourn can also rejoice in
the peace that loved ones are with Jesus.
Yes, we need to mourn. We need to
feel the sadness that death brings. Also
let yourself feel the peace that your loved one is with our Savior and they are
rejoicing.
Days are
still tough and memories still flood my mind with those that have moved to
heaven. I will miss them and I mourn the
loss of having them in my life here on earth.
Yet, I will rejoice in the knowledge that I will see them again, with no
pain and happiness abounding, when I reach them in heaven. Rejoice with those around you that are
rejoicing – revel in the goodness. Mourn
with those around you who are mourning – for we all need to feel that
sadness. Remember, that Jesus is with
you in both the rejoicing and the mourning and provides us hope for the future.
Video that
complements this post: Rejoice and Mourn
Dearest
Lord, thank you for being next to me in the rejoicing and the mourning. Help me to rest in the peace of the heavenly
home you have provided for us and the hope that we will all be reunited again
in paradise. Provide me the permission
to rejoice in the happy events of this life during difficult times. For Your blessings endure forever!


No comments:
Post a Comment