Sunday, June 23, 2024

Lazy Days of Summer

 


The lazy hazy days of summer have returned, and we have entered a new season in our Seasons of Simple Faith series.  In New Hampshire, summer came in with the bang of a heat wave – three days of heat 90 degrees or more!  This is not something we are used to in New Hampshire.  As we enter this season, I am going to reflect on the characteristics of summer and how they can mirror up to characteristics in our faith.  Summer seems to take on two extremes, lazy days of relaxation or crazy days of busyness with outdoor activities.  We will explore both during this season.

First, the lazy days.  As I think about how we get to the lazy days of summer, I go back to the newness and growth of spring.  Growth means work – one has to put effort into growing in something.  Maybe it is a hobby, a skill, a behavior, a friendship, a marriage, etc.  Whatever someone may want to grow in, it takes work.  The summer season can be relaxing a bit from all that work.  Problems arise when we think we are ‘done’ growing and do not need to put in the effort anymore.

As sad as I am to admit this, I have certainly fallen to the lazy days of not just summer, but of my faith.  As in life, there have been times when I have felt that I have spent a lot of time diving into the word, or preparing for a Bible workshop, or an activity at church and decided I could take a little time off.  There is nothing wrong with recharging ourselves – even our Dear Lord rested on the seventh day!  Yet, it is when we begin justifying not engaging with our faith for a few days, a week, a month, and become lazy to engage.  What can that look like?

·         God knows what is in my heart, I do not need to actually pray to him.

o   Although that may be true, He does like to hear from us!

·         I am running late this morning; I will skip my devotion.

o   That may be true, but when days of running late turn into weeks, our devotion time is gone.

·         God will not mind if I sleep in this morning and not go to church.

o   Missing church can lead to missing God.

What happens when we get lazy in our faith?  For me, when my faith gets lazy many areas of my life go ‘south.’  My focus moves to areas that are not aligned with my faith values.  My priorities move to earthly things instead of faithful things.  Most of all, my peace – the peace that only God can bring into my life – starts fading.  It is okay to bring rest and relaxation into our lives, especially in the lazy days of summer.  Let us make a commitment now, at the beginning of the summer, to not let our lives become lazy to God.  He never becomes lazy to us and always makes us His priority – can’t we do the same? 

Almighty Father, thank you for the rest and relaxation of the summer months.  Help us to remember not to become lazy in focusing our lives on our faith in You.  Bring us to your house, your word, and your people.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.