Sunday, August 4, 2024

Victory

 


 

Awww, the Olympics.  I have always enjoyed watching the Olympic games.  I would not say I am an ‘avid’ sports fan.  I enjoy watching football in the fall and an occasional baseball game at the local ballpark.  Yet, there is something about the Olympics that always draws my attention.  Upon reflection, I realize it is not just ‘one thing’ that lures me in, but a multitude of areas that tug at my heart.

·       Countries competing in peace!  I realize not every Olympic game has seen peaceful times, yet more than not have enjoyed peaceful competition between countries that are typically at odds.  It helps us to understand that although we may have differing opinions on certain topics, there are areas where we can come together.  Paul shares that with us in Galatians 3:28 “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”

·       Individuals doing their best!  Each competitor comes to the games to do their personal best.  They aim to perform at their personal best, searching for the end result.  It is about getting to the end in victory.  Whether it is swimming their fastest lap, running their quickest time, performing their best routine, the goal is to persevere to the end.  We all can work towards our personal best on the path God has laid out for us.  Hebrews 12: 1-2 shares, “…And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.”

·       Humble victory!  I tend to route for the underdog, those who were not expected to win or who receive a medal in their sport that has not seen a medal for a long time – or ever!  Those competitors who enter the ‘arena’ with humility, wanting to do their absolute best to represent their country, and surprise themselves and others with a place on the podium amaze me.  I think of ‘miracle on ice’ in 1980 between the US and the Soviet Union at the time.  This humble team of hockey players banded together to win Olympic gold.  I was reminded of that team when the US men’s gymnastics team recently won bronze – the first medal since 2008 or Daniel Wiffen, the swimmer from Ireland who won his country its first Olympic medal in swimming.  The humble come forth in victory.  This is what our Lord promises us in today’s verse in Psalm 149:4, “For the Lord takes delight in his people, He crowns the humble with victory.”

Jesus shows up every day for us.  He never leaves us; He never forsakes us.  When we walk this earth in His name, with humility, and strive to run the race He has given us in peace with others, He will crown us victorious.  May we be the champions for Christ, striving to do our personal best as we win the greatest reward, eternal life in Christ.

Heavenly Father, you provide to us our own “Olympic stage” to live with you on earth and to dwell with you forever in paradise.  May we continue to be reminded of that each day we live our lives here until we see your face in heaven.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.