Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chores Vs. Desires

                                         www.ciikuweds.com

Chores, we all have them.  In fact, we probably started them when we were young and have decided to share that "growing" experience with our children as well.  It may have started with making our beds or taking out the garbage.  If we find ourselves in the "over 20 something crowd", our chores may seem a bit more daunting these days - create meals for our families, do the laundry, clean the house, cut the grass, snow blow the driveway (yes, those days are coming), etc.  The chores can pile up, especially when you add them to an 8+ hour day at work.  The chores can be heavy and burdensome.

I felt the same way.  There were days when my shoulders weren't big enough to take on the weight of the chores, the list couldn't get any longer, and I didn't have enough hours in the day.  Stress-filled moments were greater than joy-filled ones, and my nights were spent not sleeping and creating my longer list for the next day.  Have you been there?  Are you there now?  In the society that we live in today, it is easy for our chores and our lists to become the sole focus of our world.  It was for me.

There was a day my world began to change.  I decided, once and for all, to pursue my desires.  I had a desire to focus on my Lord.  With my upbringing and weekly worship, I had learned that God wanted to have that relationship with me - one by which He wasn't another "thing to do" on my list, but a real desire to be with Him.  Yes, I knew I should pray (check).  Yes, I knew I should go to church (check).  Yes, I knew I should serve Him (check).  Yes, I knew I should read my Bible (couldn't fully check that one).  Yes, I knew that I should share His love with others (well . . . ).  As I searched deeper into my soul, I realized that although I might be living a life that had God in it, He certainly wasn't the focus I wanted Him to be.

So I started to put God where He should be, first.  Morning devotions with my husband and prayers for the day became something I desired, not a check mark.  Bible verses that I could refer to throughout the day when my need to rely on my Heavenly Father was strong became within eyesight.  If I desired to talk about God - I did, without hesitation.  And when the need to pray was on my mind, I stopped and prayed.  Life began changing - I began changing.  Certainly, the change has been on the inside (and I'm hoping a bit on the outside for others to see), but my heart has been a more joyful place.  

Chores can change to desires.  The things I "had" to do before, I "want" to do now.  Yes, I always wanted to make my family happy, but I hang on to the pleasure that I see in their faces instead of moving on to the next thing on the list.  By putting God first, my life has become more fulfilled.  There is joy in our chores; there is joy in our "to do" list.  This blog has been a big help on my way to fulfillment.  Today marks the 6-month mark!  I have written every Sunday for the last six months.  I didn't think I would be able to do that - but it has been a joy, a true desire.  I thank all of you who read and share with me your thoughts.  It means so much to me.  It does provide me the strength to keep going.

Desire God.  Find a way to put Him first in your day.  It doesn't need to be big.  It just needs to focus on Him.  I am sure you will find, as I did, that He will draw you closer as the days and weeks progress.  Your heart will be changed - your life will be changed.  Let Him provide you JOY~~

"...yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."  (NIV) Habakkuk 3:18


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.