Sunday, July 13, 2014

Reaping What We Sow

 
 
It's blueberry season in New Hampshire.  Yes, one of my favorite times of the summer.  I find it so fulfilling to be out amongst the blueberry bushes, typically with other die hard blueberry pickers, appreciating the little gems we are all picking.  I so appreciate the great farmers who tend to these bushes, ensuring that each year we are blessed with such goodness.  As I was picking my bucket of happiness, I couldn't help but think of these bushes that were sowed many years ago, and how we were reaping the benefits of what was sowed. 
 
This led to thoughts of what WE sow in our lives.  Yes, I have a wonderful garden in my backyard that my husband helped me greatly to grow beautiful vegetables.  Yet, I'm talking about what we sow with our words and our actions.  I thought over the past week, and realized that there were times when what I sowed was definitely not what Jesus has taught me to sow.  Think for a moment what JESUS sowed.  Think about his journey on our Earth on how His words and His actions sowed incredible greatness.  His words pierced hearts and souls every day.  His actions, His miracles, changed lives - changed OUR lives.
 
Although we may not have the abilities of Jesus, we do have an ability to sow words and actions that help people, not hurt people.  We have the ability to step back and to evaluate words that we want to say or actions that we want to take BEFORE executing them.  I don't know about you, but I know that there are many times when I wish I hadn't responded with sarcasm, with biting words, with body language that isn't positive.  How do you know that what you are "sowing" isn't what Jesus would?  I notice when the person I'm speaking with loses their smile, loses their enthusiasm, and may even respond back in anger.  They have a right to- I was "reaping" what I had "sowed".  I hadn't sowed words of kindness, of generosity, of patience.  I didn't receive it in return. 
 
Taking back what we sow is difficult.  When what we sow is good, we want it to cultivate, to grow, and we pray that the words will reap good things.  When what we sow is bad, we want to remove it right away - and that's not always possible.  What is possible is to ask for forgiveness, both with the person and with God.  He can help us - He can guide us - out of the poor choices and into His grace.  Yes, His wonderful and amazing grace - that helps us out of the hurtful words and into forgiveness. 
 
I know I am going to work on sowing better words - sowing better actions.  I am going to work on less sarcasm and more sunshine.  Would you like to join me?  Let's think about what we want to reap - and how we can sow in Jesus' image.  Next time you grab a handful of blueberries, I hope you think of reaping and sowing!!  I know I will.
 
 
"Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life."  (NIV)  Galatians 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.