Sunday, March 29, 2015

Purpose

Image result for Palm Sunday
 
"...I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."  (NIV)  Romans 9:17

I love this picture of Palm Sunday.  Today, the sacred Holy Week begins.  I always find this week to have many mixed emotions - this exuberance of Palm Sunday with all the pomp and circumstance.  Then the somberness of Maundy Thursday to the darkness of Good Friday to the joy of Easter.  Such a roller coaster of emotions we experience this week.  This past week I had the privilege to attend a memorial service of a dear person's mother.  She was blessed to live a long life and the service was beautiful.  One thing that the minister shared that stuck with me was that the loving deceased mother had many great purposes in her life - which she shared with many others (family, friends, her church).  It made me think, what is our purpose?
 
God has provided each and every one of us with a purpose to use while we are here on Earth.  This purpose doesn't have to be worldly exposed, such as a president or high official.  This purpose doesn't have to be very prophetic, like that of a dear pastor.  Whatever the purpose is that God gave to you, what is important is  to find it and use it.  I don't believe the purpose always "slaps us in the face".  For many of us, self included, there needs to be great thought and prayer as to what your purpose may be.  Yet, don't be confused, there is a purpose.  To be a wonderful mom or dad?  Purpose.  To inspire others in faith?  Purpose.  The teach others God's word?  Purpose.  My goodness, I could go on and on, but part of the fun of trying to figure out what YOUR purpose is can be the exploration, the discussions with God.  I know it was a big part of finding out what my purpose was - writing for the Lord.
 
This week, though, we are reverent as well as celebratory in the one whose true purpose was to save us - to save you and me.  This week, we bring praise and thanksgiving to Jesus.  His true purpose was to come and deliver us all from our horrible sins.  His true purpose was to show us how to truly love, to truly give of ourselves.  His true purpose was to teach us Earthly people how to forgive - the way God wants us to forgive.  His true purpose was to be born in humble fashion, live a life of challenges and difficulties, and die a death that can only be described as horrific for you and for me.  For each and every one of us - God gave us His son for that one true purpose.  To know that someone loves me that much is an incredible comfort, relief, joy and provides me the hope I need to move through my days.
 
Purpose does give us hope - whatever that purpose may be.  The purpose of each of our lives can provide us with a sense of being - of hope.  The purpose of Jesus' life definitely gave us the hope we can rejoice in.  This week - rejoice in the hope that Jesus brought to us through His purpose.  Yes, experience each and every emotion of this week, and cherish it.  For it is those emotions that are given to us by God.  If you believe you are still looking for your purpose, I encourage you to find joy in that exploration.  If you believe you have found your purpose - stay steadfast in it and take small steps to success of that purpose each day.
 
Today marks my two-year milestone in writing this blog.  It took me some time to admit it, but I have found my purpose and I absolutely adore the honor I have been given by God to share his words with others.  Thanks to all of you who are faithful readers during these two years.  To some of my new-found friends, I thank you for joining us and encourage you to come back weekly - and share with your friends.  We can all get the good news of Jesus out there. 
 
Please pray with me:  "Oh Dear Jesus, as this holy week begins, let us walk the walk you took throughout this week - the highs and the lows, the joy and the despair.  May you bring to us the purpose of why we are here and expose us to that purpose, just as we are clear on what your purpose was to come down to Earth.  Bless our week ahead, Jesus, from the palms being waived to the empty tomb. In your gracious name we pray.  Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.