Sunday, January 3, 2016

Preparing for 2016



"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."  (NIV) James 1:5

Happy New Year!!  As I shared last week, it seems as if time passes so quickly (especially as I get older)!  Yet, another year is upon us and I know there is much I need to prepare.  

My lifestyle, as of late, has me thinking of preparation constantly.  As many of you know, I embarked on a healthy eating plan this year and found myself truly wanting to be successful.  Yes, I have struggled with my weight my entire life, but I knew I needed to do this in order to FEEL better.  I also struggled with the verse, "you were bought at a price.  Therefore, honor God with your bodies." (NIV)  1 Corinthians 6:20.  I also knew that I couldn't do this alone - I needed to rely more on my Lord.  I tried this effort time and time again, but this time I knew I needed to pray about it daily, to turn to God when my own willpower wasn't enough, and to take time to prepare in advance so my choices weren't the wrong ones.   God helped me greatly in 2015 and I hope to continue this in 2016.
I prepare meals in order to be successful with a healthy living diet.  Yet, there are other things that I need to prepare if I want to live healthy with my Lord.

I need to prepare by taking time to gain knowledge about God and what he wants ME to do with my life.  We all have hopes and dreams to move forward in this earthly life.  Typically, around the beginning of the year, we spend time making a list of goals, or resolutions, to start the year.  I used to do that a lot.  Now, I begin my year asking God what HE wants me to achieve.  Sometimes, we are not on the same page - but we always know whose "page" is better!  We can gain this knowledge by studying his word, enlisting in daily devotions, and preparing ourselves to be ready when God gives us His plan for us.  In this special way, I am preparing my mind.

I also need to take time preparing my heart - through worship at church and service to others.  This type of preparation leads to a heart that is full of Jesus.   By worshiping and praising His name, I fill my heart with his goodness, I receive his grace, and I partake in the sacrament of Holy Communion.  By serving others, I am preparing my heart for a life of servitude, as our dear Jesus showed us how to do so many years ago.  Worship and service prepares my heart for the plans that Jesus has for me - for a heart that is filled with God's joy can do great things.

One of the greatest ways to prepare is to get my soul aligned with God.  Prayer is the greatest way for this to happen.  Prayer is our lifeline to our heavenly father.   By sharing our thoughts, our worries, our requests, and our struggles with our Lord, He is able to work through our soul to prepare it for a life focused on Him.  Prayer can offer us the peace that we so desperately need in this world.  When the life around us seems to disturb our soul, it is prayer that can prepare our souls with the peace we need to endure so much.

So as we begin to prepare for 2016, I ask that you go to God first before going to your "list of resolutions".  Let us go to Him and prepare ourselves by gaining knowledge, worshiping, serving others and praying so that our preparations will lead us to a year focused on our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

"Heavenly Father, as we prepare for the year ahead, may we take time preparing for all that is good and righteous so that our goals bring us closer to you.  Bless our thoughts and actions and bring us to love and dedication in your will.  In your gracious name we pray, Amen."














No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.