Sunday, January 31, 2016

Unexpected Gifts

"For when  you did awesome things that we did not expect, you came down, and the mountains trembled before you."  (NIV)  Isaiah 64:3

Today is one of those days.  It is one of those VERY rare and unexpected days in New England when, in the middle of winter, you feel warmth on your skin.  We traveled into Boston today and were able to walk around, sun shining in our faces, with 55 degree temperatures - in JANUARY!!  At this time last year, we were up to our waists in snow.  Now, I'm not complaining about the cold or snow - my goodness, we do live in New Hampshire!  Yet, it still feels good during winter months to feel warm.  Today was an unexpected gift.

It made me realize how many other unexpected gifts we get in our lives.  Like the wonder of a spring day in the middle of winter, what other wonders do we receive?  Maybe it was an unexpected phone call or a visit from a friend.  Maybe it was a note in the mail (that's pretty unique these days).  Maybe it was a smile, a gift or a cup of coffee.  Whatever it is, the best part is the "unexpected", an act or something that was a surprise.  

That's why I love the verse for today.  "When God did awesome things that were not expected, the mountains trembled."  God certainly has done some incredibly awesome things in my life that just weren't expected!  Neither of my children were "planned", but God gave me two incredibly awesome girls.  I never "planned" to fall in true love, but God brought to me my wonderful husband.  I never "planned" to have more than two children, but God blessed me by bringing two more fantastic children through Juan, Gabby and Christian.  I didn't plan many of these things in my life, but I have been blessed by the awesomeness of our God.

We don't usually think about it, when the expected happens.  Sometimes, when unexpected things happen, we look upon it as a "problem" or something that "gets in the way".  The next time the unexpected happens, let's stop for a few moments and revel in the wonder and awesomeness of it.  Let's not rush past things that were unexpected as if they were an annoyance, but spend time realizing how God pulled all those things to give us an "unexpected gift" - much like a spring day in January.

"Heavenly Father, thank you so much for the unexpected gifts in our lives.  So many times, when our lives might be disrupted by something that we didn't expect, we can see it as an annoyance.  Yet, when we look back upon our lives, we see so many unexpected gifts that you have given to us, God.  Help us to appreciate the unexpected gifts Lord.  In your name we pray."











  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.