Sunday, February 28, 2016

It's In the Details

Exodus 35-40

As I continue my reading plan of moving through the Bible in a year, this past week has found me in the book of Exodus.  The beginning of the book starts with the birth of Moses.  The end of the book finds us with all of the pain-staking, mind-numbing details involved in building the tabernacle. Originally, I took a quick "skim" of those chapters.  Although it can get a bit mind-boggling with all of the intimate details of every nook and cranny of the tabernacle, the curtains, and the garments, it helped me to think of so many things where life is "in the details".

In this particular case, God is instructing Moses on EXACTLY how the tabernacle is to be built - from the materials, to the dimensions, to the rituals, etc.  Everything is provided to him with the utmost detail.  Although much work was put into this incredible creation, how wonderful was it for Moses to have God tell him exactly what needed to get done!!  Don't you wish God would have a conversation with you on exactly what needs to get done?  Maybe He does, let's explore!

I think of some of the major events in my life within the last few years.  Are these the details God put into my life?  I had cancer - not exactly the detail that you believe is a gift from God.  Yet, when I look back at that part in my life - it truly was a gift.  The details of watching doctors and nurses perform miracles was at my doorstep.  Absolutely amazing.  The details of watching kindness and generosity from so many was what God wanted me to see.  The strength that HE gave to ME when I so desperately needed it was a detail I needed at that point in my life for what was to come.  I needed all of those details to get to the next chapter.

When I look at all of the details that surrounded my divorce, as hard as it is to relive those times, each difficult conversation, each moment of desperate prayer, each challenging day was the detail that I needed.  Those details showed me God's grace.  Those details gave me a glimpse to the mercy and grace that our Heavenly Father gives to us.  Each of those details also provided me for the next chapter.

The details of my dad's suffering and ultimate passing showed me how patience and simple faith can have an indelible impression upon others.  Through my dad's suffering, God gave him certain people to influence - to show that no matter how difficult days are when you are in pain, God is there with us.  Until Daddy's last day, he shared that message.  That detail needed to happen so that others may come to God.

So let's go back to the original question - Don't you wish God would have a conversation with you on exactly what needs to get done in our lives?  He DOES have that conversation with you - when we go to Him in prayer.  When we ask His advice and counsel over situations before we act, He helps to guide us to where His details lie.  No, it may not always be comfortable for us, but the details that we learn along the way prepare us for those new chapters in our life.  God's got this - we just need to listen and pay attention to the details. 

Yes, I did go back over the mind-numbing details throughout Exodus.  I saw the beauty that God provided for the Israelites.  I saw the opportunity He provided for them to use their gifts and talents.  I saw an incredible picture in my mind of what it was to look like.  When I searched for a picture of the tabernacle to provide in today's blog - many of the images looked very much the same.  I can certainly understand why as I re-read those details.  Our life is in the details that God gives to us.  We just need to have the simple faith that He loves us so much that He provides those details to us.  Just ask!!

"Dearest Lord, sometimes we race through our lives in mind-numbing speed, without looking at the details that YOU have provided to us.  We don't stop to ask you which way to go, we just make our own path.  Please help me, to stop and talk to you - asking for me to see the details that You have given to me to live this life on earth.  Help me to live as You have chosen, not as I choose.  Give me the details, Lord, for the plan You have for me.  In your gracious name I pray.  Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.