Sunday, May 1, 2016

Foggy Faith Days

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps."  (NIV)  1 Peter 2:21

This past week, I woke up to an incredibly dense, foggy day.  I could  barely see out of my bedroom window to the driveway, never mind any further.  I have always found fog to be somewhat of a "phenomenon".  This should explain much to many of you - science is not my "main thing".  Therefore, on a foggy day I find myself in wonder at how fog just "showed up".  I am sure there are many of you out there that can give me the scientific version of how fog is created, but why don't we all let me live in my state of wonder on this one, okay?

As I was trying to navigate through the foggy roads in order to get to work, it helped that I take the same roads every day - knowing which way to turn and even where to avoid the spring potholes.  That clarity helps me to get to my desired destination, despite the fog.  While driving, my mind drifted to other times when the fogginess wasn't in front of my eyes, it was more "inside" of me.  There have certainly been times when I have had a foggy head.  Whether I wasn't feeling well or had too much on my mind, I found myself not being able to focus and my thoughts wandered, constantly.  I don't like feeling like that and look forward to when I feel better and have more clarity.  If the fogginess is due to too much on the plate, it is a wake up call for me to get the priority list written.  Those lists have always provided clarity for me - a direction to follow.

There have also been times when my faith has been a bit foggy.  Although I don't like to admit it, when the life of this world gets the better of me, I begin to wander away from what is most important and focus on things that are less important.  It may be times when I put other things in front of worship.  Times when I'm "too busy" to spend a few moments in the Word first thing in the morning and need to rush out of the house.  Times when I believe listening to that "hard rock" station will lift me up better than praise music.  Times when I rely on my own means versus God's means to see me through a difficult situation.  Have you been there as well?  I call those Foggy Faith Days, days when my faith doesn't have the clarity that I wish it would.

So how do we navigate through those Foggy Faith Days?  By doing what our verse for today tells us to do.  Follow in Jesus' steps.  On those days when I know my faith is getting a bit foggy, I turn to the one who can always provide me clarity, Jesus.  Sometimes it is as simple as opening up my Bible (how Jesus ALWAYS gets me just to the right passage).  Sometimes it is sitting in worship and getting navigated to the cross and the Lord's supper.  Sometimes it is finding my favorite hymn to sing out load.  Most times, it is the act of folding my hands and bowing my head in prayer.  In doing this, I am able to ask Jesus for His help, his guiding hand, through the fog.  When I start walking in His steps, I find that the fog is lifted and my faith is renewed.

So the next time we find ourselves in a fog, take a few moments to find the clarity we need - in Jesus.  If the fog is truly right in front of you, going to Jesus for THAT clarity can be helpful too!  Funny thing - Jesus seems to be the clarity in any situation.  Let's follow Jesus' steps to clarity.

"Faithful Jesus, thank you for always being the clarity when fog takes over us.  We know that by following in your steps, we can lift the fog and find the clarity that you want us to have - a true focus on you.  Help us to turn to you Jesus on those Foggy Faith Days so that you can clear the path as we follow your steps.  In your gracious name I pray, Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.