Sunday, September 25, 2016

Turned Backs to Turned Repentance

"...They have turned their backs to me and not their faces; yet when they are in trouble, they say, 'Come and save us!'"  (NIV)  Jeremiah 2:27

It is hard to not get caught up in the media hype of issues.  When the news portrays certain situations, they have the ability to put their own spin on it.  Many times, after watching their reports, it is hard to determine whether what they are sharing is the actual truth or truth that has been stretched a bit.  Yet, that is the world we live in.

Such was the news a few weeks ago when a football player (sorry, his name escapes me), knelt during the National Anthem.  It was all over the news and so many had opinions on whether what he did was right or wrong.  Many felt that he was disrespectful to our country - and in a way - had turned his back on the USA.  Others felt it was his right to do so.  I am not here to get into whether he was right or wrong.  For those of you who know me, you know I am not a issue driven/politics kind of gal!

What I thought was interesting was something my husband said during our Bible Study last week.  He shared, "So many people are talking about this player who, in the eyes of many, turned his back on his country.  Yet, we Christians turn our backs on God all the time."  WOW - that was a very powerful statement and has had me thinking ever since.  At first I thought, "I don't turn my back on God!", but do I?  

Do I follow God's commandments every minute of every day?   The obvious answer to that is a resounding NO.  Yet, turn my back on God?  I love my Lord and always want to do what is right in His eyes.  Yet, I truly have to admit, I have turned my back on him.
  • When somebody needs my help, but I'm too busy - I've turned my back on God.
  • When I begin to pray, and my thoughts turn to my "to do" list - I've turned my back on God.
  • When I should be reading my daily Bible verses, but turn to Facebook - I've turned my back on God.
  • When somebody says something that is hurtful to another, and I don't say anything - I've turned my back on God.
  • When my patience runs low and I snap at a loved one - I've turned my back on God.
God's love for us is unconditional - thank our Dear Lord!  Although I may turn my back on Him, and He would have every right to ditch me, He is always there with outreached arms to invite me back.  When I turn to repent, His forgiveness is unconditional - just like His love.  All those time I turned my back on God are completely forgiven and forgotten. What an awesome God.

Before we start pointing fingers at those around us whose behavior we may not agree with, let us turn to ourselves to see if we believe our behavior is without reproach.  I know that when I did that, I found I had some repenting to do!  Turning to repentance after turning my back on God has helped me to "check my behavior" and see that I have some work to do.  Can I ask you to join me on checking to see if you have been turning your back?  If so, know that our Lord is waiting for you to repent, to forgive, and to completely forget!!  What joy we have in His love!

"Dearest God, when I take the time to review and reflect on my behavior, I realize that I have turned my back on you and your will for my life on more occasions than I care to admit.  Today, I ask for your forgiveness.  Help me to see when I behave in such a way.  Help me to not turn my back on you and your will but to find grace in repenting and a renewed focus on You.  Thank you, God, for always being with me - waiting for me with outreached arms.  Amen." 





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.