Sunday, November 6, 2016

Thankful for Courage

Image result for Veterans day
"Have I not commanded you?  Be strong & courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

During this month of November, I thought I would take this opportunity to focus on what we can be thankful for.  With Veterans Day just a few days away, I believe honoring those who gave so much of themselves for all of us is more than appropriate.  I have always been humbled by those who decide to serve our country.  I admire all that they give up, for me!!  It truly is an incredible selfless act.

I can't imagine what it is like to walk into battle.  We may have all experienced some sort of battle in our lives.  Maybe we battled an illness.  Maybe we battled emotions or relationships.  Yet, our veterans walked into battle with an enemy.  I thought the Bible verse for today closely mirrors those who have stepped into battle for our country.  The strength and courage they must have to find as battle draws closer.  It is so impressive, especially as they do this willingly.  I am very confident that our Lord was and is there for every military person as they go into battle.  

There was another who walked into battle for us.  Our Dear Jesus also walked into battle, the battle of our sin for the redemption of His blood. Once again, Jesus had to have incredible strength and courage to begin the long trek of walking into the battle of Pilate and all those who mocked Him.  Yet, he walked into that battle willingly as well.  He walked up that hill with the cross on His back, for you and for me.  

Do we have that strength and courage?  We may not walk into battle as our veterans have done or as Jesus did for us.  Yet, there are other battles that we can fight, closer to home.  Reflect . . ., do you have the strength & courage to speak to another about Christ and all of the magnificent things he has done for you?  Do you have the strength & courage to tell strangers about Christ's love?  Do you have the strength & courage to tell family and friends about how Jesus died for your sins?  This is they type of strength & courage that Jesus asks from us.

We may not walk into battle to show our courage, but Jesus provides us other ways to show the love we have for Him - and we can do this by sharing our faith with others.  This takes courage and strength, and each of us can do it!!

I will be eternally grateful for the courage that our veterans have displayed throughout the years.  I am also eternally grateful for the courage our Dear Jesus has shared with us.  I am also eternally grateful for all of you who step out in faith each and every day.  

"Heavenly Father, thank you for giving ALL of us the strength & courage to walk the walk you ask us to do.  As we head out into the world, please equip us with all that we need to talk to others about your grace and mercy.  Thank you for all the ways you give us to share our courage.  In your name we pray, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.