Saturday, October 21, 2017

Reaffirmation


"I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him."  2 Corinthians 2:8  (NIV)

To reaffirm - state again as a fact, assert again strongly.  That is autumn for me.  Waiting every year for October to arrive is a reaffirmation for me.  Reaffirming what you may ask?  Reaffirming God's presence.  I see God in so many wonderful every day events year round.  Yet, for some reason, during Autumn, it seems as if He says, "I'm Back!"  The brilliant trees, the cooling weather, the gathering of family through apple picking or pumpkin carving, all remind me that God is present and close to me.  This time, it made me think of our own reaffirmations.

You believe you have heard a calling.  You follow your dream.  Head on.  You work hard, make plans, evaluate the plan, execute on the plan and then Satan comes in - with DOUBT.  Not just the kind that makes you "wonder" if this was really your calling, your plan, but the kind that says, "Are you kidding?  What were you thinking?"

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this happen.  Maybe it was the dream job.  Maybe it was the ultimate project.  Maybe it was __________  (you can fill in the blank).  All I know is that the certainty of the path has turned into the uncertainty of tomorrow.   It can feel as if the balloon you blew up had a pin poked into it.  All the air comes pouring out.  It can all come to a halt and we can feel paralyzed.

This has happened, on more than one occasion to me.  It can be defeating.  Then God comes in - and reaffirms His presence (just like the Autumn leaves).  How so?  Through an encouraging word of a friend who, all of the sudden shares with you that what you are doing is making a difference.  A kind note from a coworker who let's you know you are headed down the right path.  Warmth fills your being and you experience the glow of reaffirmation.  I was blessed to have this happen during the past couple of weeks.  It changed my perspective - it helped me to continue down the path I have chosen.

Please, let us all take the time to reaffirm someone close to us - a family member's love, a friend's dream, a co worker's efforts.  Reaffirmation fills us up when the air is out of the balloon and turns our uncertainty of tomorrow back to the certainty of the path.  It doesn't take much - a quick chat, a few words in a note, maybe even a small drawing on a post-it note.  The few minutes can restore some one's faith, and God will be shining through YOU to another.  Here is to the reaffirmation of Autumn, and of others!!

Dearest Jesus, help us to take the few minutes to reaffirm someone today.  Help us to see who needs to see YOU in their dream.  May we be the one to reaffirm their journey so that they can see you, Jesus, on the path.  In your heavenly name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.