Sunday, October 1, 2017

Laser Focus

"Then Jesus declared, "I am the one speaking to you - I am he."  John 4:26 (NIV)

I have many areas of self improvement, but one that I struggle with the most is thought racing.  Let me explain.  I will be speaking about one topic and then my mind will quickly shift to something as a thought races into my mind.  Or I may be listening to a person and thinking about other things that need to get done.  I tend to be better at focus when I am at work than when I'm at home.  You can ask my husband.  We will be driving in the car having a conversation about something and within five minutes I will have changed the subject three times.  Yep - just a bit frustrating for the person I am with (again, just ask my husband!).

I'm not sure when this struggle started.  If I look back, I think it was when I became a mom.  Mothers out there - you know the struggle.  You have fifteen things that need to get done so thinking about them all at the same time makes it more efficient - right?  Yea, probably not!  I used to think that was the case, but in all reality, I know it isn't so.  When I lack focus, I usually disappoint the person I am with.  They thought that they had my full attention, and they deserve my full attention.  Yet, when my mind races, they truly don't have my full attention.

Let's shift to Jesus for a moment.  If there was a person on this earth who had a lot on His mind, I would say that Jesus gets to top that list.  He certainly knew his mission and He went about teaching, healing and modeling behaviors that all of us aspire to.  Of the many characteristics that Jesus portrays, the one that I really admire was His focus.  Whenever he speaks to a person or listens to a person, He focuses just on them.  There is no "changing of the subject' or lack of listening skills with Jesus.  

Whenever I read excerpts from the Bible where Jesus is speaking to someone or listening to someone, you truly sense that He is there just with that person.  Whether there is a crowd of people around or not, that person He is speaking to is the only one that matters at that time.  Wouldn't you like to be on the receiving end of a conversation like that?  To truly have some one's laser focus, laser attention?  My friends, let me share with you.

You DO have some one's laser focus.  Just as Jesus focused on each person when He was on earth, He does that for each of us today.  When we go to Jesus in thought and prayer, He is listening just to YOU.  When we go to Jesus and ask Him to talk with us - He does, just to YOU.  Jesus' focus with those he traveled with many years ago is the same focus He provides for us today.  By going to Jesus in thought, word, and deed, He will provide us with the attention that we are looking for - each and every time.  Yes, even with all that Jesus concerns himself with, YOU become his number one focus.  Please, remember this as you seek His counsel.  He will always be focused on you.

Dearest Jesus, we thank you for your laser focus in our lives.  As we go to you, we know that you are listening and speaking just to us.  Your mind doesn't race or wander with random thoughts, but hears our every words and speaks to us with love.  Help us to have that same focus as we speak and listen to others.  In your gracious name we pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.