Sunday, March 11, 2018

Weighing Down

"Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up."  Proverbs 12:25 (NIV)

It happened as it has happened for several years.  People of New England see March 1st and we think "Spring is right around the corner".  Then Mother Nature has another plan for us and down comes the snow.  It is not different this year.  Typically, the snow in March tends to be "heavier" than the light puffy snow of December and January.  I am not a weather person, but I'm assuming that it has a lot to do with the warming temperatures.  Wet snow, though, means difficult times ahead.  Power lines are weakened by the heavy snow and power outages occur more frequently.  Along with the power lines, tree limbs and burdened with the heaviness of the snow and tend to break.

As I was driving past many broken branches after our March storm, it occurred to me that the heaviness of the trees from the snow is much like the heaviness that is in my heart many times when worry and guilt surround me.  As I worry about whether the plans I have made will come to fruition or if I have worked hard enough on a certain project or whether I have enough food for extra guests, the heaviness of my heart and mind increases.  Worry has always had that effect on me.  You too?

I find the same thing happening when I shoulder guilt.  When my choices go against what God plans for me, I have a great deal of guilt.  Guilty of what I should or should not have said.  Guilty of the actions that should or should not have been taken.  Guilty of the thoughts I should or should not have had.  

Guilt and worry can consume me.  It can take a cheerful heart and bring it to a very dark place.  It can take my focused mind and bring it to a constant state of flux.  It's amazing how these two words can move me from a place of joy to a place of pain.  Bottom line, guilt and worry weigh me down.  They sit on my shoulders like a ton of bricks.  The pain in my heart reminds me of all that I have done wrong or worry what won't go right.

How do we remove that weight?  We can't, but Jesus can.  He brings the good news, the cheerful word, that removes the weight that we carry and brings us joyful relief.  He "carries our burdens" and takes away our guilt and worry.  Jesus is the warmth that melts our snow and lifts our branches.  Only He can do that for us - let us be grateful for His saving grace.

Dearest Jesus, we thank you for always being there to remove the weight of guilt and worry and replace it with joy and cheer.  Only you can do that, Saving Lord.  Your grace covers us with warmth and brings us from darkness into the light.  Never leave us Jesus - may we always sing your praises.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.