Sunday, May 13, 2018

Strength in Women

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Proverbs 31:30 (NIV)

I am a product of the '70s.  My formative years were spent as the feminist movement was starting to take hold.  I remember Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" as an anthem for many and Mary Tyler Moore was my idol.  Although only in my teens, I remember women burning their bras and seeing protests on the news.  It was certainly a time that influenced me greatly..

During that, my mom didn't get all entangled in what was happening in the world.  My mother stayed true to her beliefs and values.  She believed in loving God, being a great wife and an awesome mother.  She believed in making great family meals and providing for her children.  My mother was a teacher - a working mom.  I vividly remember that on Friday evenings, as we were looking forward to the weekend, my mom was starting the laundry and beginning the weekend chores of shopping, cleaning and cooking.  There was ALWAYS church on Sunday, followed by Sunday School and Sunday dinner.  She wasn't burning her bra in celebration of being a woman, but was grounded in God, prayer, and love.

I may have loved Mary Tyler Moore and all of her independence, but my greatest influence has always been Mom.  Mom always dressed well, but it wasn't her universe.  Mom would do her makeup, but it didn't define her.  Mom is defined by her faith.  Plain and simple.  As the years have moved forward and I have grown into a wife and mother, I look back and realize my guide and counsel has always been my Mom.

Looking back upon the great women of the Bible and my Mom, I see many similarities.  They all believed that God was their strength.  From Mary who didn't question the angel Gabriel when he told her she was going to be a virgin mother to the bravery of Esther, there are plenty of examples that show us women how to live a life that praises God.  Mom's greatest strength is her prayer life.  On more than one occasion, when one of my friends may be facing a great difficulty, they will often say, "And can you bring in the 'big guns'", referring to my Mom.  She goes to her Lord in prayer often, and has taught us to do the same.

There are many gifts I have been given by my Mom.  Yet, the best by far is her trust in the Lord and the ability to 'talk' to him ALL the time.  She does't need to protest or burn her bra.  For Mom it is about being strong in the Lord, and strong in life.  She seems to do it effortlessly, yet, I know it takes a lot to be that strong.  Her strength lies in Jesus.  As I grow, I continue to strive for that strength - the strength of Mary, of Esther and of Mom.  Thank you Mom, for your greatest gift - your faith.  I love you!!

"Heavenly Father, thank you for the wonderful influence of mothers.  As we walk through life, may we be blessed with mothers and care givers who provide us a strong faith in you to handle this life on Earth.  When their time on this Earth is complete, we know that you will care for our mothers in heaven.  Help us to have the strength of the mothers in the Bible.  In your name we pray.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.