Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Greatest Help




"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."
"John 14:26   NASB

Every year, in our little farming town, we get to see this sight.  A number of the local farmers get together and plow one of the larger fields.  It's something to watch.  Almost a dozen farmers, on their plows, helping each other out.  No pride, no egos, just pure harmony.  Every time I see that vision, it reminds me of the importance of helping our neighbors, as well as asking for help, when the time arises.   It's humbling to see this sight.

Which leads us to today, Pentecost!  Today is the day where we celebrate the Holy Spirit.  As a Sunday School teacher of 2-3 year olds, we always found sharing the Trinity to be difficult - especially the Holy Spirit - not necessarily someone they can see pictures of.  As an adult, I'm not sure the understanding of the Holy Spirit can be any easier. 

Some say that the Holy Spirit is your Christian conscious.  He helps us to decide what is right and wrong and can be a counselor in these times of decision. Another reference shares that He teaches us, that He helps us to learn new and wonderful aspects of our faith.  This is shared above, "...He will teach you all things."   Also, it is said that the Holy Spirit helps us to recall all the wonderful things that Jesus taught.  Again this is referenced in our verse for today, "...and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."  

I believe that the Holy Spirit is all of this and so much more.  I like the definition of the Helper!  The Holy Spirit is actually referred to this in more than one place in the Bible.  In John 14:16, Jesus shares, "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever."  When I see the Holy Spirit as a Helper, then it makes all of the other references come into focus.
  • He is a helper that leads me in the right direction - a holy counselor
  • He is a helper that teaches me when I don't know things - especially concerning my faith
  • He is a helper to remind me of Jesus' love for me
  • He is a helper to take me back to the scripture when I need strength and encouragement
  • He is a helper - someone that is with me always
When I see the Holy Spirit as a helper, I know that there is ALWAYS someone there, someone within me, who can ALWAYS help me.  ALWAYS!!  I love my friends and family, but situations arise and they are not always be my side.  The Holy Spirit is always by my side, every moment of every day.  Understanding the power that this statement brings fills me with a sense of peace - knowing that whatever comes my way, my own personal helper, the Holy Spirit, will help me.  Thank you local farmers, for reminding me of the one that is always there to help - the Holy Spirit.

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving to us the gift of the Holy Spirit.  To be filled with you helps me to understand that I am never alone.  Whatever situations may come my way, may I be reminded that with you in me, I can come through it victorious in you.  May I realize the help the Holy Spirit provides to me and may I help others with that same conviction.  In your wondrous name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.