Sunday, October 7, 2018

Many Colors of One Leaf



"For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,"  Ephesians 2:14 (NIV)

It is here, the time that I wait for all year long, foliage season in New Hampshire.  There is no doubt I am a fan of autumn, but especially this time of year when the trees seem to turn brilliant colors.  Not every year is the same.  One year the colors can be muted, other years they can be on fire.  I happen to think this is a year of color brilliance.  The beautiful tree above is right next door to us, yet trying to share this with all of you in a picture is never the same as seeing it in front of you.

Anyone from my family will tell you that the leaves themselves are what captivates me.  What I find completely amazing is that on one tree, you can find all the colors of autumn - a leaf can be green, yellow, orange, red, etc.  As I was spending time among the trees this year, what I realized even more was that EACH LEAF represented a multitude of colors.  All those colors coming together in one tree of absolute brilliance.

This week, no matter where I turned, all I saw was division - division of people.  Whether it was over an opinion of political nature or what to pair with a lovely dinner, I seemed to see tensions rise and discontent.  Hostility seemed to be center stage and the words of rage were its vehicle of communication.  It saddened my heart and I'm sure I am not alone.  These thoughts brought me back to the leaves.  How so?

God created us, each and every one of us.  He created us with our own thoughts, our own opinions, our own gifts, and our own blessings.  He created us with harmony in mind, not discontent.  Now understand, I am not naive enough to believe everyone will always get along.  Yet, when I see these things it certainly saddens my heart.  This is a tough time in our country - in our world.  There is much division throughout this earth.  So what do we do?  Where do we turn?

We turn to the One who created us in peace.  We turn to the word of God.  It is so very hard to put aside personal differences.  It is very hard to not challenge another who has such a differing opinion than ours.  God doesn't want us always to be silent - He wants us to speak out in His name.  He helps us to do that through His word.  He gives us the tools to break down barriers as He did and have all of us "of many colors", like the leaves, to inhabit the same tree - the tree of His kingdom.  

Disagreement does not equal division.  Disagreement does not equal hatred.  Disagreement does not equal hopelessness.  Disagreement does not equal violence.  Disagreement is a difference of opinion.  It is the many colors of one leaf.  Disagreement can produce the same beauty of the tree above, just by honoring the difference of opinion.  I may feel that my opinion is right and theirs is wrong.  The beauty comes from the fact that we all have one Savior who doesn't judge me "horrible" although my sin is great.  He looks at me and the beauty that He created and says to me, "Come to my kingdom."  For that, I will turn my heart to Him.

Dearest Jesus, disagreements over different opinions seem to be strong these days.  Tensions are rising and times are tough.  I ask that you look over ALL of your people and provide us the ability to see through the tough words into each other's heart.  Help us to see the beauty that YOU created and may we be more like you in our approach of understanding.  In your name we pray.  Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.