Sunday, September 30, 2018

Breath of Life

"Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says:  Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.'"  Ezekiel 37:9  (NIV)

The other day, I heard a story where a person was saved because someone began CPR on them.  CPR has always amazed me.  One person can save another person's life by pressing on their chest and breathing into their mouth.  It's one of the many reasons I respect our EMTs, firefighters and police officers.  As soon as they arrive onto a scene where someone could be dying, they perform, what I would call, miracles.  They actively make life-saving decisions, including CPR.

With that, I was drawn to the story in Ezekiel of the dry bones.  God gives Ezekiel, the prophet, a vision where there was a valley of dry bones.  He commanded him to give life to the dry bones, and in front of him, the bones connected to become living humans.  The breath of life, in this case, was the word of God that was breathed into death.

I have been there in my life.  There was a time when life seemed very desperate.  Between enduring cancer, my marriage crumbling and my dad's passing, I felt that hope was far from me.  It was a very dark time in my life and it was very difficult for me to see the good in any day.  I got up, I tried to smile, but each day proved more difficult than the one before it.  I am eternally grateful for those who provided to me a "breath of life".

No, it wasn't direct CPR, but it certainly could have been.  Through prayers of others, through notes and letters, through acts of kindness and words from God, my life began to change.  I could feel life re-enter my soul, and I believed that my life could have more meaning.  Life was coming back through the breath of others.  I had felt like the valley of dry bones, and today, I am blessed with a life that God has richly blessed.

I seem to look around and see so many people who may be in the valley of bones.  Life is so very difficult these days and many people need our help.  I ask all of you, if you know anyone who is in the valley, give them the CPR of God's goodness and riches.  Take a look at the gifts He has richly bestowed upon you, and see where you may be able to breathe life into someone else.  We can all help someone.  A kind word, a note of grace, a call or visit, all of those simple things can breathe hope into others.  Don't wait!  God is with you.  He has prepared you for these moments.  Just take a breath and do!

Dearest Father, we thank you so much for the wonderful story of the valley of dry bones.  It is such a vision of what the word of God can do in someone's life, bring them back from despair to hope.  Please provide each of us an opportunity to be the breath of life to one in need.  Give us the courage to speak your words of hope.  In your life-giving name I pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.