Sunday, January 27, 2019

Virtuous Peace

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful.
Colossians 3:12-15

We have spent the last three weeks dissecting these few verses to assist us in leading lives of virtue.  The bottom line is, WHY?  Why should we work hard at examining ourselves against the virtues that Paul shares with us in these verses?  There certainly are a variety of ways to look at this.  Certainly, because God instructs us to be virtuous, which is a great beginning (and end).  Yet, as we look to lead lives that are more patient, more kind, full of forgiveness and love, how does that truly bring value to us here today?

Once again, I reflected on this as I read this verse and fell onto this one common thread, which is how this passage ends - peace.  A peaceful soul, a peaceful mind, a peaceful heart - these were not items I've always had (and many times I still struggle with).  As I look back over my life, there have been many times where I have done all the "Christian" things that I thought I should be doing like becoming a member of the Altar Guild, teaching Sunday School, facilitating and attending Bible Studies - you know - all those "Good God Girl" things.  Somehow, I felt if I did all of those things, that they would "miraculously" bring peace into my life.

All of those acts of Stewardship helped me on many levels.  I grew in my knowledge of God's word.  I shared my love for Jesus with little ones.  I meditated at the altar as I prepared it for Sunday worship.  All of these things brought me different levels of fulfillment.  Yet, there were parts of my life at that time that were tumultuous.  Health issues, relationship issues, work issues, seemed to plague me.   The more I complained, the more I victimized myself, the less patience I had - the less kindness I had and forgiveness?  Why should "I" be the one to forgive!!

Enter the bottom line of "WHY"!  I found, after much personal reflection (and years of gaining wisdom from others), that by focusing on the important virtues Jesus wants us to have, I found the peace I so much looked for.  By having patience, I let go of "my agenda" and let God's agenda take over.  My showing kindness and compassion, my heart filled with "God's Love".  My letting go and forgiving, my soul was restored.  With those virtues a real part of my life, my stewardship grew in significance, and peace abounded.

Is every day a peaceful one?  How I wish, but it isn't.  Yet, I now know the key to that peace - living a virtuous life filled with those items that reflects God to others.  By doing that, my life is filled with peace - the peace that passes all understanding.  It's not easy, and I'm not perfect, but I am so very thankful that my God, the one of my simple faith, loves me all the same and grants me serenity.  May you find virtuous peace!!

"Dearest Jesus, how grateful we are that we have a God who teaches, guides, restores, and loves us - despite our actions.  Help us to live a life filled with the virtues you share with us, that we may gain a life of peace and a simple faith filled with your salvation, hope, grace and mercy.  In your name we pray.  Amen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.