Sunday, January 6, 2019

Virtues - Patience

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful.
Colossians 3:12-15

Welcome to 2019!  Hard to believe another year has passed by so quickly.  During 2019, I am going to try something new (we will see how long I can sustain this!).  I thought I would focus on a different word of faith each month, selecting a Bible passage that we can explore together.  For January, I have chosen virtue and have selected the passage above.  This was the focus of our sermon last week, and really tugged at the hearts of my daughter and me.

The underlined word, patience, is a virtue I typically need to work on often.  I may start the year off in a good way, but by the end of the year, my patience for people and situations seems to waiver.  My tolerance becomes less and my tone becomes short.  I typically know this about myself and try to take more time off during the end of 2018, understanding it is my time to "recharge".

Yet, wouldn't it be more prudent of me to find a way to gain more patience and not "get to the end of my rope"?  When I reflect on my gap in this area, it follows many scenarios:
  • Long days at work when all my patience is used there and little is left for home
  • Projects that don't have the same timeline as I have
  • Issues that I would like to solve quickly, but may take more time
  • Biting my tongue or holding in my feelings, only to burst when I can no longer do both
In walks the grace of Jesus.  If anyone knows I have this gap, it is certainly my loving Savior.  For my true benefit, he sees my gap.  Upon my time of repentance, He acknowledges this and forgives me.  Yes, right above in our Bible passage it saves, "...the Lord forgave you."  When my patience runs thin, I go to my Lord.  I ask Him for the strength to hold my tongue from biting words.  I ask Him for the truth to see my errors and to ask others for forgiveness.  I ask Him to continue to love me.  

Jesus does all of that for me - He gives me strength, He gives me truth, He forgives me - and HE LOVES ME.  When the virtues I should have in Christ are not met by my own humanness, the Lord steps in, and loves me!!  What a gracious and wonderful gift He provides.  The next time our patience runs thin, let's ask Jesus for His help, His guidance and His love - it will bring peace to our hearts.

Dearest Jesus, how very grateful I am that you step in on my weaknesses.  Thank you for loving me even when I can't stand up to the standards that have been set for me.  I appreciate you for always loving me, through all of my gaps.  Please continue to grant me forgiveness and provide me a path for growth.  In your loving arms I rest, Amen!






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.