Sunday, September 22, 2019

Attitude Adjustment

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds."
Ephesians 4:22-23

I could feel it coming, like a wave over me.  The attitude that wasn't going to be good for anyone, especially those around me.  Lots of thoughts were rushing into my mind, none of them were good.  I was sitting in a pool of self pity, and it wasn't becoming.  I woke up with it and as the minutes and hours progressed, I knew I needed to do something before the "nasty Susan" would come out.

These verses from Ephesians couldn't more clearly depict where I was yesterday.  Was there anything in particular that got me to this point?  Not really.  Yet, I knew that this was not the person I wanted to be, especially to my family.  I wanted to put off this "old self", which I knew was being corrupted by selfishness and nastiness.  It was time to make myself a new attitude - I needed an attitude adjustment.

I got in the car and drove - out to a cute little store that I knew would have wonderful fall items for me to peruse.  It wasn't the store that drove the adjustment, it was the drive itself.   I got in the car and immediately went to my Savior - asking Him to change my heart, my soul, and my mind.  I asked for His forgiveness and mercy.  Then I waited.  As He so richly promises us, it happened.  I drove along these beautiful side roads and noticed the beginnings of autumn leaves changing.

As leaves begin their transformation from green to incredible colors, a yellow hue happens.  Tints of yellow begin the process and as I drove down the road, I began to feel enveloped by yellow - the color of joy and happiness.  God, in a way that He knew would touch my very being, began my transformation.  He enveloped me in this yellow hue to bring my heart to a different place.

By the time I did a little shopping and was returning home, my heart had changed.  My mind had changed.  Most importantly, my soul had changed.  God's love was in each and every one of those leaves that morphed my attitude - bringing a much needed attitude adjustment.  

God has such a way of talking to us, of answering us, when we need Him the most.  Although we may not see Him, when we go to Him with contrite hearts, we know He is close.  I always believe He is sitting right next to me when I'm talking to Him, smiling and nodding, understanding where my heart is and where I want it to be.  He understands me.  He understands you too.  All we need to do is give ourselves to Him, share what we are and who we want to be.  He will always take care of the rest.

As the colors of fall begin to take shape, I ask you to spend some time with our Savior.  Let Him know what is heavy on your heart.  God will take care of the rest.  He will welcome you into the conversation and will know just what you need.  Whether it is a sign of great immense, or the colors of changing leaves.  May you feel His loving arms around you.

Gracious God, we thank you for always being there for us - especially when we need an attitude adjustment.  Bring us to you and wrap your arms around us.  Show us the way to a heart that loves as you love us.  May we always share that with others.  In your name we pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.