Sunday, June 21, 2020

Taking out the Garbage


We live in a small town where there is a town dump.  Instead of paying to have your garbage picked up at your house, you may take your garbage to the dump.  Saturday morning seems to be the busy time and while out doing errands on Saturday, I noticed the long line waiting to get in to this town "meeting area" so that garbage can be thrown away.  I myself have sat in that long line, waiting to rid our home of our garbage.

I know, what does this have to do with a Biblical blog post?  Stay with me~~  As I was waiting for the traffic to pass, I thought about the garbage that I have hauled off to the dump over the years.  Broken appliances, broken furniture, broken technology items - a lot of broken "stuff".  I thought a moment if I could bring to the "dump" my brokenness, all the brokenness inside of me, how would that change me?

There are many areas of my life I would like to "take to the dump" and restore with goodness; those sins that we have every day.  The times when I am angry, I would like to replace with understanding.  The times when I am prideful, I would like to replace with humbleness.  The times when I feel shame, I would like to replace with forgiveness.  

Along with all of these emotions that I'd like to take to the dump, there are habits I would like to take there as well.  I would like to replace my moments of unhealthy eating with better options.  I would like to replace my time "scrolling through my phone" with my nose in a book.  I would like to replace my sedentary moments with exercising.  Yes, there is much in my life that I need to "take to the dump" and replace with healthier emotions or habits.  

The good news is that I have help with this!  I gain the strength to make strides with all of this because I have the Holy Spirit to guide me on the right path.  With much prayer, and Jesus who loves me, I am able to see when my "garbage needs to be taken to the dump".  Once I remove the garbage from my life, I am able to fill it with the goodness that God wants for me - kindness, humbleness, servitude, forgiveness, healthy habits, and a resounding joy!  By having the Holy Spirit inside of me, teaching me, showing me the right path, and helping me to realize when I need to do some changing, I am able to have a life that is filled with joy and thanksgiving.  Instead of wallowing in the muck of garbage, I am able to smile in the light of the day.  That makes my soul happy!

I pray, as we walk through the week ahead, we identify some of the garbage in our lives and make a concerted effort to "take out the garbage" and replace it with the goodness that God has in store for us.  Identify those areas where you want to grow, and live in the goodness of Jesus' love for you!

Dearest Jesus, help us to see the "garbage" in our lives that we need to take "to the dump".  May we understand that those areas only bring us into the muck.  May we replace our garbage by focusing on the wonderful blessings you have given to us and may we be that blessing to others.  In your loving name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.