Sunday, July 12, 2020

Appreciation


Sitting at my desk at work this past week, I ran my fingers through my hair - and stopped mid way.  Just stopped.  Then I took my other hand and ran my fingers through my hair.  And stopped.  My breath stopped as well.  I could feel my eyes well up and I'm thinking, "Really?  You're going to get emotional here and now?"  The memory brought me back over 20  years, when I ran my fingers through my hair and clumps of hair came out.  Like running water, the hair kept falling out.  Here I was, 20 years later, remembering that moment in time, and appreciating where I was today.

Later that day, I'm home sitting on my back deck watching the breeze blow through the trees and the same thing happened.  It was as if I was stopped in time, just reveling in the leaves turning up and down on the trees - as if I had never seen them do that before.  I looked to my right and there was my husband, on his phone like he has a million times before.  Yet, in that moment, I remembered not having his love in my life and appreciating where I was today.

With all that is happening in our lives today, we have so much vying for our attention - media, family, friends, work, etc.  It seems wherever we turn, there is something that says to us , "keep on going - you need to do more, get more, see more . . . more, more more."  That day, that very special day, the Holy Spirit was telling me - stop and appreciate.  It was more than "stop and smell the roses".  It was much more like, "stop and give praise for all you have."

Whether we believe it or not, we are all rich.  No, not the monetary rich that can buy you lavish houses and huge yachts.  I'm speaking of the richness that we get when we can rest in the arms of our Lord.  When we can step aside the daily crazy and step back into the knowledge of Jesus' love, whatever we have at that moment is exactly what God wants us to have.  For me that special day was realizing that I had hair - and remembering the days of chemo when I wasn't as fortunate.  It was realizing that love is the rest and contentment that you have with someone after a long day of work - and remembering that love isn't constant bickering and anxiousness.  

Our Lord is with us, each step of our days.  He never leaves us, he always provides.  Those provisions may not be the riches of this world, but they certainly are the riches of the heavenly realm.  Appreciating what we have at the moment brings a level of peace.  Thanking God for all of that richness is all He asks of us.  Take this moment.  What are you enjoying, right now, as you read this?  Is it a simple cup of coffee.  Is it the sunshine, the rain, the simplicity, the busyness?  Take the time to realize that at this moment, wherever you are and whatever you have, it is a gift from our Heavenly Father.  Give him praise at this moment - give him your thanks that He has stood by you, never leaving you, in all that you have.  God is Good!!  Let Him know it!!

Dear Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you.  As I sit at this moment and realize all the goodness you have given me, my joy overflows.  Praise and thanks to you, God, for never leaving me - for always being beside me.  Your love covers me in peace.  May I never forget that.  In your name I pray.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.