Sunday, November 15, 2020

Hands

 


I looked down at my hands and noticed some things I hadn't noticed before - they looked old.  Let's quantify this - I fully understand I am not a young spring chicken.  Yet, when I looked at them the first thing I thought of was my grandmother.  Her hands always looked "old".  What was I noticing?  My hands have creases and wrinkles all over them.  There are some age spots showing through my skin.  As I turned my hands over, there was a callus or two.  Wow - they were hands that looked like they had weathered the storm.

As I thought about my hands, I realized that they had weathered the storm.  These hands have cooked too many meals to count.  They have held babies and worked in the garden.  They have held other hands in prayer and have patted backs on a job well done.  My hands have held the face of my husband and have felt my own tears.  These hands have also been clenched in anger and have clapped with joy.  What about your hands?  What memories are your hands holding?  What storm have your hands weathered?  I'm sure all of us have held the weight of our lives in our hands at least once or twice.

"He's Got The Whole World in His Hands", was always a favorite childhood song.  Whenever I would hear it, I pictured God holding the entire world in safety, much like the picture below.


I'm not sure of where your life has you at this moment, but I know I NEED this picture more than ever.  The safety of the world being held in God's hands gives me the peace that I need to move throughout each day.  Though troubles may be with us and around us, and we may feel as if we are in the "depths of the earth", God is holding us in His hands.  Are we on top of the mountain?  God has us in His hands there as well.  

Although our hands may have seen much in our lives, God's hands have been with us each moment of each day, holding us up, providing us nourishment, piecing together the troubles we are facing, ensuring we are truly never alone in our lows and highs, all cradled in His love.  He doesn't just hold you and me in those hands, but each person on this earth.  He truly has the whole world in His hands.  There are people all over this beautiful earth God created.  We ALL need his hands of love, each and every day.

The next time you look at your hands, think of the One that is holding them in love.  Knowing that God has us in His hands should give us the strength to use our hands to help each other.  Hands to make a meal or help a neighbor with a project.  Hands to hold with another in prayer.  May our hands be a reflection of God's hands.

Heavenly Father, thank you for always holding me in your hands.  I pray that as I go about my days, that my hands give to others as you have given your hands to me.  In your holy and loving name I pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.