Sunday, May 9, 2021

Love of a Mother

 

“But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you.  Where you go, I will go, and where you stay, I will stay.  Your people will be my people and your God my God.”  Ruth 1:16

Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers and caregivers.  This is certainly a special day – filled with lots of love.  My daughter said to me the other day that every day should be Mother’s Day, which made me feel good.  Yet, there is something about Mother’s Day wishes that gets me all warm inside.  I think back when I was younger.  My dad loved this day (just as he did Valentine’s Day).  A special meal was prepared, and it was all about Mom.  I pray that our family of today brings back those great memories of yesteryear for my Mom.  It is a day of love and gratitude.

There are so many wonderful motherly role models in the Bible – certainly Mary, Jesus’ mother, being one that stands out.  Today, I chose Ruth.  The way Ruth honors her mother-in-law, Naomi, can certainly teach many of us what love and gratitude looks like.  Naomi lost everything, her sons and her husband, and is heading back to Moab.  She bids her daughters-in-law goodbye, telling them to go back home.  Orpah left, but Ruth did not.  This is where we pick up the verse for today.  Ruth’s love toward Naomi is shown in her devotion not to leave her alone.  Ruth carries that love forward as she gives birth to Obed, the father of Jesse who was the father of David.  With Ruth the lineage of Jesus begins.

As mothers/caregivers, we tend to see our role come to an end as children enter adulthood.  For many, this separation of not being “needed” anymore can turn into a difficult navigation of a new chapter in life for a mother.  Many may think that their children can live their lives without them.  Although children move into their new chapters, our “mom” love doesn’t change.  We never leave our children or turn our backs on them just like Ruth didn’t turn her back on Naomi. The best that we can offer our children is to pray for them.

Praying for our children connects us.  It connects us to God and God to them.  Our worth as mothers does not have to fall into the category of making dinners or doing laundry.  Our worth is far greater than that.  It is in the love we show our children by picking up the phone when they call, sending them a quick note, and most of all, praying for them.  Our prayers are heard by God, who believe it or not, loves our children even more than we do. 

All the hard work is worth being blessed with the tile of mother, caregiver.  On this day, remember that your love for your children never stops, how we show our love may change as they get older.  This is not the time to turn our backs, but to settle into motherly prayer – for our children and children everywhere. 

On a parting note, I would like to say, “Happy Mother’s Day Mom”.  Your love and prayers have never stopped, and we all feel them every day.  Thank you for not turning your backs on us and giving us the precious gift of Jesus in our lives.  I love you.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the moms and caregivers in our lives.  May they always have the love of Ruth, never leaving and always holding onto their children through prayer.  Bless those prayers, God, and bring those prayers to fruition.  In your holy name we pray.  Amen!

 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this Susan. Ruth was my mother's favorite book in the bible. Caitlin and I read it to her the last week she was with us. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.