Sunday, May 2, 2021

Spring Blooms

 "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned."

Isaiah 9:2

Winters in New England can be challenging.  They can bring dark days and cloudy skies; cold and blustery winds; and of course, the snow.  I believe most New Englanders enjoy that first snow – it is probably one of the many reasons we live in New England.  Yet, as the winter crawls on, and if the snows happen to more than ‘normal’, it can become very dark.  The darkness is not just the weather, in can affect our disposition.  In fact, there is a name for this SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder.  The lack of sunshine and dark days can wreak havoc.

I had the pleasure of speaking at a women’s Bible group a few years ago about the seasons of our life.  We spent some time discussing the “winter” moments – the times in our lives when life has been extremely difficult.  We have all experienced those winter moments.  When I reflect upon my life, I would have to say that I had a few YEARS that were my winter moments – a diagnosis of cancer, a failing marriage, the loss of my father, all hurling at me within a few months.  Psalm 88:6 comes to mind during those times, “You have put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths.”  Have you experienced those winter moments?   God never promised us a rose garden, especially during winter!  Those times in our lives can be extremely painful and filled with despair.  Yet, as Isaiah shared, “…living in the land of deep darkness, a light as dawned.”

Spring!  The newness of life returns to New England.  Due to God’s goodness, spring always arrives.  It is amazing how the dark days of winter are replaced with sunshine and smiles.  In true fashion, as soon as the temperatures hit 50 degrees, the shorts start coming out -we know that warmer weather is around the corner.  With the sunshine comes blooms on the trees and green grass. The same is true in our lives, brothers, and sisters!  The growth of our faith, just like the growth of the trees and plants, brings newness during spring.  We walk out of the darkness into the light of spring. Enduring the ‘winter moments’ is something we can’t do alone.  We need to ‘honker down’ in our faith, cozy up to Jesus and his word as we walk through the darkness of our winter moments.  In doing so, when we enter the spring season of our lives, we can breathe in the fresh air and the newness of our lives and our faith.  Let us rejoice while walking in the sunshine of the new life in our spring season.  May we not forget who was with us during the darkness of winter – our dear Jesus.  He sat with us and led us to the light of spring. 

My friends, if winter moments are still plaguing you, have simple faith and know that our Savior is with you.  He has not left your side.  He will walk with you through these winter moments – to the light of the spring season.  Hold tight to His hand and feel the sun shining on your face.  A light is dawning!

Dearest Jesus, thank you for staying close to me during the winter moments of darkness.  Although life may be cold, I know that, by faith, you are near me.  Guide me to the light of spring, Jesus, and may I rejoice in the dawn.  In your ever-present name I pray.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.