Sunday, June 6, 2021

Nothing At All

 

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, not any powers, neither height nor depth, not anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Romans 8:38-39


Disappointment.  There have been many times when disappointment surrounded me.  Disappointment at home, at work, with relationships, with opportunities.  Disappointment can cut deep – sometimes to our very souls.  When someone or something disappointments me, I believe the sting is even greater than when I am mad about a certain situation.  Think about a time when someone disappointed you.  It may have been something small like they cancelled plans we were looking forward to, or it may have been something larger like, “I no longer love you”.  Disappointment is real and it hurts.

Depending on who is disappointing us or what the disappointment is, we may react differently.  If it is a ‘first time’ disappointment, we may “forgive and forget”.  If we have been disappointed by this person repeatedly, we may find ourselves holding a grudge for a bit longer.  If we have come to the final disappointment, it may mean that we sever the relationship all together, as resentment sets in. 

As I was thinking about this week’s post, I thought about the many times I have disappointed Jesus.  My words, my actions, my thoughts, all leave me less than the image He created me in.  There have been times when His disappointment should be minimal, maybe words that hurt someone’s feelings momentarily.  There have been other times when I made poor choices repeatedly.  I am sure Jesus is asking, “Why does she continue to walk in an inappropriate path.”  Of course, there are the actions that result in Jesus being justified to turn His back on me completely.

Yet, our Lord does not turn His back.  Every poor choice, every biting word, every horrible action is wiped away, no longer to exist.  Jesus does not hold a grudge.  Jesus does not resent me.  Jesus died on the cross so that my sins, each one, is made to not exist anymore.  His forgiveness pours upon me.  More importantly, His love wraps me in a blanket of hope and salvation.  Nothing, no matter what I say or what I do, separates me from Jesus.  He is always there for me, even in my darkest hour.

Repenting for our sins, those known and those unknown, gives us God’s forgiveness.  May we learn from those sins and work towards establishing the image God made us in.  We will never be perfect, but we can strive to be better.  Knowing that no matter what I do or say, nothing will come between me and my Jesus, makes my life complete.  Join me in repentance and love.

Dearest Jesus, thank you for never giving up on me.  No matter how many times I must disappoint you, you are still waiting for me with your love, forgiveness, and hope.  Help me to see my sins and steer my thoughts and actions towards those that align with you.  In you ever-loving name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.