Sunday, June 13, 2021

Simple Beauty

 "But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him.  The Lord does not look at the things people look at.  People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

1 Samuel 16:7

They say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  I have been extremely fortunate throughout my years to have seen much beauty.  I am continuously awed and amazed at the beauty our Dear Lord put on this earth.  From the clouds in the sky to the green of the grass, from the blue of the water to the majestic mountains, I believe God’s beauty is all around us.  This past weekend, my husband and I had the good fortune to go to Burlington, Vermont, on the coast of Lake Champlain.  The beauty of the lake up against the mountains was breathtaking.

As we were sitting on the banks of the lake, I could not help but think of the simple beauty God has provided to us.  Yes, He has given us beauty in nature, yet there is other simple beauty that I know I may not always take the time to appreciate.  The beauty of someone’s smile.  The beauty of someone’s laugh.  The beauty of shared tears and shared dreams.  Each of us has a simple beauty that is there for someone to see.  The beauty may lie in our imperfections.  The beauty may lie in our dreams.  Have you ever wondered if someone sees our own beauty?  Not the outward beauty, like nature, but the inward beauty of our soul.  There are times when I am sure all of us have felt unnoticed or not valued.

Brothers and sisters, let me share the truth of simple beauty.  We each have a wonderful simple beauty that is ours and ours alone.  That simple beauty is recognized by the one who created us with that beauty and cherishes our beauty, God.  Just as we appreciate the wonderful beauty He created; He revels in our beauty every minute.  I can imagine God looking down upon each of us and saying, “Their beauty is breathtaking,” just as we say when we look at His creation.

The next time you see a beautiful sunset or a majestic mountain range, take time to thank God for the beauty He gave us.  May we also take time to thank God for the beautiful people that surround us every day.  Look for each person’s simple beauty and see that person through God’s eyes.  That simple beauty may manifest in a laugh, a tear, words of encouragement or even silence.  Appreciate what God has created in that person, look for the beauty in their heart.

Dear Lord, let us pause throughout our days to appreciate your creation – not just in nature, but also within each other.  Help me to see the simple beauty in everyone I meet and may I hold that beauty in my own soul and heart.  In your beautiful name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.