Sunday, August 1, 2021

Craving Cardinal

 


If you look very closely (I’m not the best picture taker), you can see a cardinal at the bird feeder.  This is in our backyard.  This “craving cardinal” comes every day.  Sometimes it is in the morning, other times, in the evening.  Yet, he never misses a meal at the bird feeder.  I don’t put anything special in my bird feeder, yet this lovely must crave something special because he shows up faithfully.

I love to watch him when he arrives.  He always is gracious to let the other birds dine with him – he never scoots them away (like the blue jays do).  He’s willing to share and gets his fill as he flies off.  Every day, a smile comes over my face as I watch him.  Many people believe that cardinals represent a loved one who has passed on.  I’m not sure if it is true or not, but I do speak to this pretty bird like I was speaking with my dad.

Watching this bird made me think of my own nourishment.  Every day, like the cardinal, I find my way to my cup of coffee and items to nourish my body.  Ensuring my family had home cooked and nutritious meals while they were all at home was a priority for me.  This has not stopped.  I do my best to ensure those that are at our table are fed well. 

There is another nourishment, though, that is far more important than food – it is the nourishment of my soul.  As the cardinal comes to feed each day, I should be feeding upon the Lord’s word in devotion each day.  As good as I am about ensuring a nutritious meal is on my table, I regretfully share that I may not be as good at getting my nourishment from Jesus.  Typically, I try to dive into devotion in the morning before my day starts – feeding my soul for the day.  Some days, though, I find other priorities entering that space.  “I need to get to work early today”, or “I don’t feel like taking the time,” or worst, “It’s okay if I miss a day”.

I don’t know about you, but one day without nourishing my soul leaves me hungry and thirsty.  As Jesus says, He is the bread of life.  If we get filled up with Him, our earthly needs will be met by him.  My days are better when He is the focus, when He drives my thoughts.  Left to my own accord, it goes wrong.  Let’s be like the cardinal, craving nourishment for our soul every day – no excuses!!  We will be filled up beyond measure.

Dearest Jesus, thank you for being our bread of life.  Help us to crave the nourishment only you can provide.  May we recognize the importance and value of being with you every day.  Let us be filled and share with others the good news. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.