Sunday, August 29, 2021

No More Weeds


 

It’s nearing the end of the summer in New England.  For those of us who enjoy fall, we have been waiting many months for the next season to arrive.  Yet, the end of summer means end of summer work.  The garden has faded and it’s time to pull out the plants and ready the soil for the fall and winter.  The annuals that lasted from spring to summer are starting to die off.  Those last pesky weeds seem to be creeping up with the latest heat and it is time to get those weeds out of the soil.

Yesterday was weeding day for me.  I looked at those weeds far too long, it was time to get them out.  As I pulled each one from the ground, I noticed they all had different root structures.  Some were deeply rooted in the soil; others’ roots were closer to the surface.  Either way, when I was done, it was nice to see the beauty of the plants surrounding the weeds shine through.  Getting rid of the weeds let me take my attention off the bad to see the good.

It made me think of my own life.  How often do I focus on the “weeds” of my life and not put enough attention to the “beauty”?   There can be many days when I let the weeds take over the garden of life, bringing my thoughts to a place of negativity and frustration.  These weed thoughts may have different root structures – they could be negative thoughts that are deeply rooted in pain or loss, or they could be negative thoughts that are more superficial.  Either way, the devil can do his work and put me into a “weed” mentality.  Do you find yourself thinking about all that is wrong in life and not focusing on all that is good? 

My friends, Philippians 4:8 is our verse.  This wonderful verse helps us to refocus our thoughts away from the negative and focus our thoughts on all Paul tells us to focus on:  True, Noble, Right, Pure, Lovely, Admirable.  If I kept this verse in mind when my thoughts go to the ‘weeds’, I can easily turn around the negative to the positive.  Thoughts that:

·        Don’t assume

·        Have integrity

·        Mirror God’s thoughts

·        Focus on good

·        Not jealous

When I focus my thoughts on what God wants me to focus on, my burden is lifted and my gaze is to the beauty He has provided.  Join me in getting out of the weeds and shining the beauty that God intends for our lives.  Have simple faith that His goodness will reign in your heart, and thoughts, forever.

Heavenly Father, thank you for providing this important scripture to help me focus my thoughts away from the weeds and into your beauty.  Guide me, my mind, and my heart to focus on all that is good and bring light to those in need.  Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.