Sunday, December 5, 2021

Favor with God


Happy Advent!  Did you know that the phrase, “Do not be afraid” is used in the Bible 365 times?  It must be a phrase that God wants to ensure hits home – at least every day!  There are many things in this life that can scare us – snakes, dogs, spiders, the dark, etc.  There are also very personal things that can scare us – the fear of being alone, the fear of imperfection, the fear of failure, the fear of dying.  Whether the fear is an extrinsic or intrinsic fear, it is real for the person dealing with it.  It is not easy dealing with fear. 

If we put ourselves in Mary’s position, we can appreciate why she would be fearful.  To be visited by an angel and then be told you are going to be the mother of Jesus who will save the world?  That is a tall order.  My fear of going to the dentist seems trivial compared to Mary’s fear.  The words addressing Mary’s fear are, to me, some of the most powerful in the Bible, “you have found favor with God.”

Favor with God!  What does that mean?  Is Mary God’s favorite?  Is she going to receive special treatment?   What does it mean to have God’s favor?  Through some research, I have come to understand that God’s favor can mean God extending His divine kindness, understanding and grace to us who do not deserve it.  God’s choice in Mary may come from God’s desire to have Jesus’ journey begin in the humblest of ways, someone who was devout to God and knew the meaning of grace.

The question becomes, can we find favor with God?  Can we experience God’s favor?  The answer is yes!  We receive God’s goodness and grace every day.  His favor falls down on us when we believe in Him, just believe.  Earning God’s favor is impossible.  There is nothing we can do, no matter how great, where we should expect to have his kindness, understanding and grace.  In Ephesians 2:8, Paul clearly shares for us, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God.” 

God’s favor on us comes from our faith in Him!  All we can offer God is our faith and love.  Thank goodness that is all He asks of us.  In return His favor – His love, kindness, and grace – flows from Him.  I know I can use all of what God can offer in my life.  My need for forgiveness is real and His grace and mercy provides that forgiveness.  Remember, God values YOU, he favors YOU!  We are children of God!  That certainly brings joy to my heart.  I pray it does the same for you!

Heavenly Father, thank you for finding favor with me!  Your divine grace and mercy are with me each day.  My earthly works could never be enough to gain your favor, but through your grace, I am a child of God.  Thank you!  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.