Sunday, January 23, 2022

The Power of Memories

 


It happened frequently this week.  I would look at my phone to check a message or text and there it was. A memory.  Pictures popped up as memories on my Facebook feed or in Google photos and I was transported to a different place and time.  Many of the memories were of our family, pictures of the children when they were younger, hanging together as siblings.  Other memories were times with my husband when we traveled or on our deck relaxing.  Still others were of events – weddings, confirmations, births of children, holidays.

As I looked at the faces in these pictures and remembered the circumstances by which those pictures were taken, a smile would grace my face, or a chuckle would depart my lips.  Details of the moments were so noticeably clear, and my heart felt warm.  The more it occurred, the more I reflected on the power of these wonderful memories.  It was as if each memory was a gift, a moment that was relived.

My thoughts turned to Mary, Jesus’ mother.  As we read in the book of Luke, we begin this journey with Mary as we learn of Jesus’ birth.  We first heard about Mary treasuring all that was happening when the shepherds arrived – pondering them in her heart.   Mary was holding on to moments for memories.  We see this again when Jesus went to the temple courts around the age of twelve, and those that heard him marveled at his questions and knowledge.  Again, we find Mary treasuring things in her heart.

Holding on to special moments, as Mary did, brings goodness into our hearts.  I am sure Mary relived the day the shepherds brought praise upon Jesus’ birth along with reliving the day where she was so proud of her son in the temple.  Memories can bring that special day back to life after years of passing.  Stop for a moment and think about this gift God gives to us – the ability to remember. 

It is wonderful to have these memories, but it is also just as important to stop and live in the moment when wonderful things are happening.  I know I tend to ensure the ‘party is going well’ or that ‘the details of the vacation are met,’ that I sometimes do not live in the moment and treasure them in my heart for the future.  Being present in the moment gives us the opportunity to fill our hearts with the sounds, the beauty, and the aromas so that when a memory comes to mind, we can experience all of it.  

Taking time to make the memory is so vital in these days where we all seem to be rushing.  Slowing down and being in the moment can provide the chance for us to fill our hearts and relive those moments vividly.  May we all relish in the power of memories.

Heavenly Father, we thank you for giving us the opportunity to store memories in our hearts.  May we reflect on special moments with joy and thanksgiving – knowing all of this is a gift from you.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.