Sunday, January 2, 2022

The Year of Kindness

 


The new year is upon us!  Many of us are extremely excited to ring in 2022!  2021 seems like a whirlwind of decisions on vaccines, at home school, who to socialize with, possibility of travel, work at home or work at work, etc.  The list seems to go on and on.  All that decision making can be exhaustive.  Now, as we enter the new year, many of us are looking to make our own resolutions, things that we can personally do better.

My list always has losing weight at the top of it.  One would think I have this down pat, yet, unfortunately, it is still a struggle.  Then there is always exercising more, diving deeper into the Bible, and enhancing my prayer life.  All of this focuses on me and what I can do better.  As I thought about the past years when I have put goals/resolutions in front of me at the beginning of the year, there are very few occasions where I put others in front of me.  My focus has typically been where I can increase my own value, but rarely has it been to help others.

When I looked up the actual definition of resolution, it did not state anywhere that it was a ‘self’ reflection, but a ‘firm decision to do or not do something.’  What if my focus for 2022, after all the turmoil from the past few years, was not to focus on myself but to focus on the needs of others?  We have all dealt with personal trials over the past couple of years.  Much of our lives needed to focus inward to our personal convictions, our beliefs, and our own strength, to get through each day.  Although not over, it may be time for us to change our focus to those we know, and those we do not know, who need our help.

It may be time for one remarkably simple thing – kindness.  Kindness comes in so many shapes and forms.  Kindness does not have to cost us one penny.  Maybe it is a moment of our time.  Maybe it is a listening ear.  Maybe it is an extra set of hands.  What does this look like?

·        It may be time to spend with a child who is learning to read.

·        It may be an ear for someone who needs a shoulder to help bear the burden.

·        It may be helping our neighbor plant a tree when they are struggling.

·        It may be a cup of coffee with a new mom.

·        It may be a smile to a stranger.

Our world seems to be struggling with kindness.  Although our acts of kindness may not change the world, they can change the life of one person.  Many times, Jesus’ kindness was shown one person at a time.  Let us use Jesus’ example of kindness.  Let us take the time to kneel with a child, break bread with a neighbor, and be with the sick.  Shine Jesus’ love through your kindness.  May a resolution of kindness be a gift to many.

Dearest Jesus, thank you for being the example of kindness.  By reaching out to others, may they see the love you have given to us reaching out to them.  Help us to celebrate this year as the year of kindness.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.