Sunday, June 12, 2022

Judging Words

 


I heard two people speaking with each other a few days ago.  The way they were talking, you would believe that they were judge and jury.  The spoke about a friend as if the person could do no right and every word the person spoke and action the person took was so wrong.  It was 35 minutes of this constant back and forth, only to have the ‘friend’ arrive and the entire conversation changed. 

I thought about the conversation I heard and immediately became the ‘judge’ that I had just heard:

·         How could people judge another person the way they did?

·         How could they not recognize there may be other circumstances the person is dealing with?

·         How could the conversation change so radically when the person showed up?

As I walked through the scenario, it was time for me to take a self-reflective look.  Have I ever experience being the person people were judging?  To be honest, there have certainly been times when this was the case.  I remember how awful I felt when I recognized people were judging me.  Yet, and more importantly, were there times when I was the ‘judge’ in a scenario or with a person?  I have to admit that there have been times when I was playing judge.  

I also hear much judgment when I turn on the news.  I think much of America has become self-proclaimed judges and juries.  Hearing people speak about others in a judgmental and painful way does not seem to do anything except continue the divide that we see in America today.  People believe their own thoughts and actions are “right” and the other person’s thoughts and actions are “wrong.”  All of that talking has resulted in barriers being lifted up instead of bridges being built. 

Upon reflection, I realized that nothing positive ever came out of those times when I judged.  I remember feeling guilty about it afterwards, thankfully, to the Holy Spirit.  I realized that when I judge and measure others, I will too be judged and measured.  The only One who has the right to judge is our own Jesus.  Because He died on the cross for me, He has the right to judge me and penalize me, for all my negative actions.  Yet, which is one of my most favorite words of the Bible, He looks past my imperfections.  Jesus looks past judging me to the person that He sees on the inside, one of His chosen. 

When we believe the right thing is to judge others, may we take a step back.  Let us realize that the only One who can judge another is the One with no sin, Jesus.  Let us leave the judging to Him and may we take on the building of bridges!  May we take the time to understand each other instead of judging each other.  May we take steps towards building bridges and not barriers.  May we find peace.

Dearest Jesus, thank you for this important verse to help us understand the important of leaving the judging to YOU.  May we reflect on moments when we judge and realize that our job is not to judge, but to build peace amongst each other.  Equip us with the tools to thrive in that environment.  In your name we pray, Amen.


5 comments:

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.